Wednesday, July 1, 2015

MIDI Week Singles - 'Gestation' from Cave Story (PC)


"Gestation" from Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) on PC (2004)
Composer: Daisuke Amaya
Developer: Studio Pixel



This little chiptune ditty serves as the background music to the first room in Cave Story.  The room is small and its primary purpose is to familiarize the player with the controls and some of the mechanics before heading into the main game.  I think the track is therefore appropriately titled 'gestation.'  

I like the sound of the track. I love the atmospheric percussion, the fade in, the repetitive sound of the verse, and the more pronounced chorus.  I like the steady pace of it and the gentleness of the melody. And, of course, I love the slightly abrasive tones reminiscent of video game sounds of my childhood.  

Because of the way it sounds and where it is positioned in the game, this track seems to me like the 'Cave Story Theme.'  

-D

P.S. Did I mention Cave Story is one of my favorite retro-indie games of all time?

No comments:

Post a Comment