Wednesday, July 8, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: Mission Briefing - GoldenEye 007 (N64)


"Mission Briefing" from GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 (1997)
Composer: Graeme Norgate & Grant Kirkhope
Released: No Official Soundtrack Release
Developer: Rare, Inc.



As my first MIDI Week Singles here on the new site, I wanted to do a little piece of menu music that I could not only recall from memory, but was music that I actually enjoyed listening to and had fond memories of.  I also thought it appropriate as it's music that plays while your selecting which stage you want to start.  See what I did there?

And as far as who wrote this bit of music (Grant Kirkhope or Graeme Norgate), information from the below 2013 interview points to Mr. Kirkhope.

But the music, for it is which why we are all here today.  What I love about "Mission Briefing" is that it's unobtrusive and just there in the background.  And it still sounds like James Bond-type music, and it has that gongy-brake-drum-banging-on-a-hollow-pipe-sound (or apparently a tuned down tambourine hit) that is very GoldenEye (movie and game).  "Mission Briefing" probably didn't win any awards for Best Music in a Video Game, but it's exactly what needed to be played while doing a bit of on screen reading before you're thrust into a world of flying bullets and shaken martinis.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
This Will Be My Testimony

5 comments:

  1. I hear tell someone uncompressed the goldeneye soundtrack and is sharing it somewhere on the internet. No, I don't have a link.
    I think I actually remember this track by heart, too. I'll have to listen when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I had heard/read was that the uncompressed sound files were what was originally composed before being compressed for the N64 cartridge; as opposed to existing sound files being uncompressed (is that possible?).

      Of the files that were available too, there were only six and sadly, "Mission Briefing" was not among those that were made available.

      Delete
  2. Oh wait-- I get it! The stage select music, not only as a tribute to the blog title (very nice) but also placed early in the blog, like if you're starting from the beginning, this is the soundtrack to navigating the blog.
    I recommend opening this in a separate window and playing it while navigating the blog. Sure is short though. Still, I really like how it plays like a broken down version of the general Goldeneye soundtrack. I particularly like the... xylophone? that plays a melody, but not quite a melody, just hinting at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it stands to reason that you can not uncompress a file, because there would be data loss. Not like on Honey I shrunk the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The uncompressed version of Mission Briefing was available on youtube a month ago, sadly it was removed a few days :/

    ReplyDelete