Monday, July 6, 2015

Rambling In Wait

It's currently 92° here in the Pacific Northwestal Portland region.  This is now the 8th day in-a-row of 90°+ temperatures, which I know is nothing special for those in the California region, but for a region where, on average, there are no more than 14 days in an entire calendar year where the temperature reaches above 90°, it's something to complain about.  Additionally, as a result, air conditioners are not as common as they are in say, Tempe, Arizona.  What it boils down to (eh!?) is that I am sitting here in our half of a duplex in just my skivvies drinking a Nalgene of water waiting for The Elder Scrolls Online to finish with its patch.

Conklederp is here with me waiting for the same patch so that we can go questing together as she has the day off and there's not much else that we can/want to do, what with Surtr glaring down on us.  I'm starting to think that the real Nords of old were onto something with Midgard being burned to the proverbial ground.  But, that would be the same as people back East this last Spring claiming that "Global warming" is a lie because "look at all this frozen flakey water!?"

Anyway, ESO is still updating and is currently staggering at 25% complete.  Auto-updating is one of those first world problems that I admittingly find annoying and frustrating, especially when it's a large patch (current batch/thing is 4 Gigs) and all you want to do is escape the heat and play some online game with your wife/husband/SigOth/Self to get your mind off of the fact that your body is trying to thermoregulate itself off by secreting water from the eccrine glands.  Stupid body!

As it turns out, I'm really ungrateful today, with the game that is updating to fix any number of issues that are not supposed to happen as well as my body trying to keep itself from overheating.  And here I am trying to find something to do that inevitably ends up using up some bandwidth, which is needed to download the already aforementioned patch that I've already talked about again.

Yesterday on the plane home from Nor☆Cal, I talked (briefly) to an eight year old kid about video games.  Conklederp was trying to console the kid (who was with his mother) who was also anxious about flying.  He said he was playing Terraria and I said I knew what game he was talking about despite never having played it.  Pokemon (specifically the TGC) and Minecraft were also brought up, as well as a couple of gaming stores in the Portland area (Cloud Cap Games, Guardian Games).  Both Conklederp and I commented to each other while walking towards baggage claim that we were both glad that the other was there for the video game conversation with Mr. 8 Year Old otherwise it could have been very odd.  Maybe.

Well, ESO is currently at 66%, so I think I might grab Ship of Theseus and continue to read that enigma of the written word.  And I'm only a little sorry for the rambles, heat does this to my brain and there's nothing my brain wants to do about it.  



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

P.S. 69% and counting!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the auto-update! So frustrating for one who was raised with popping a cartridge and pressing the power button. Just play the damned game! I thought your post was a good adaptive response to being made to wait.
    I also totally get what you mean about talking to the little kid. As a grown man, talking to kids you don't know is generally frowned upon. The validation power of the life partner is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete