Thursday, August 20, 2015

Existential Angst - Free to play in Browser

I didn't find this screen.  But now I want to.

Ennuigi
The first game to which I will refer you today is called 'Ennuigi.'  In which you wander back and forth as Luigi, smoking cigarettes and venting your existential angst.  This game is worth a few minutes of your time, if for nothing else than it's fantastic ability to create a mood.  Using just minimal mechanics, music, NES sprites and choice lines of text, Ennuigi is a unique gaming experience.  Play in your browser.  Linked from Boing Boing.





Loss
Loss is similarly minimalistic and effective, as you play a small child who has been given a balloon.  There is a reasonably long accompanying background song, which I found was a perfect timer for my patience with this game.  Have a look, it's fun.  Linked again from Boing Boing.   


That's all I've got for In-browser games at the moment.  Enjoy!

-D

2 comments:

  1. Conklederp started reading Luigi's lines like Werner Herzog and it was great and took a bit of the edge off.

    One thing I didn't like though was that the screens were randomly generated as I got stuck between two pipes/walls for five screens and thought that the world was closing in around (which at the time was cool), but then I realized they were random and became just a little annoyed.

    Oh and I was able to find that screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, Werner Herzog is the perfect voice for that game! I have to play it now and read it that way. I agree with you on the screens and getting stuck by a pipe. I didn't want to give it away, but it does appear completely random. I had sort of hoped I was exploring something. Though, I guess that would go against the whole 'angsty' thing.
    It is an interesting way to navigate, just going left and right all the time. I wonder how that might work if it was a way to explore. It would be tough, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete