Monday, September 21, 2015

First Impressions: Super Mario Maker (WiiU)




I did it.  I went and bought it.  And now it's all I think about, day and night.  Super Mario Maker. It's a lot of fun.  It is basically exactly as advertised:  a really easy to use level editor for Super Mario Bros games. They make level editing easy and fun!

Mario Maker is full of Easter eggs.  There's a lot I still don't know about it.  You aren't given a full palette to start with, but it is released slowly over 9 days.  However, you can unlock different tools faster by playing the game in editor and play modes. So far, I've got 3/5 rows of tiles unlocked, and it is more than enough for me.

It's still totally fun to build with a limited pallet, and also to play levels, both the ones designed by Nintendo and ones by random players.    (it comes with like... 50 levels designed by Nintendo.  some are full levels, others are just one screen.  they are designed to give you ideas)

One of the cooler things I should mention is that the game reverse-engineers different environments.  For example, the ghost house is playable in Mario 1 skin, even though there was never a ghost house in that game.  You can also get items like the Shoe and other stuff in Mario 1 skin.  (also, being able to get the shoe, previously featured in only 1 level of mario 3, is almost worth the price of admission itself)

So yeah, best $300 game I ever bought.  There are criticisms.  But for now, they are all minute specks of dust that I have already forgotten.  I'm sure to talk more about this game. 

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment