Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pak Watch: Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

I am super-duper HYPED about Super Mario Maker.  It looks great.  It looks like the spiritual successor to Mario Paint, which was an awesome game.  Of course, there's a lot of hype about this game floating down my twitter feed, so that contributes a great deal to my own excitement.  But, but!  There's lots of hype about lots of things, and I still am more excited about Mario Maker than anything!  All of my favorite publications are writing about it.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night creator Koji Igarashi had fun playing it.  
I feel like a little kid; getting hyped about the latest Nintendo product.  I have always loved level editors, from Excitebike to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and I encourage more of them.  Somehow, with Super Mario Bros, It all seems more accessible. I'm excited to make levels and to play some of the online posted levels.  The interface on this game looks really cool.  And it comes with this crazy idea book, which you can view online.  

Super Mario Maker comes out tomorrow (9/11/2015) and I am seriously considering buying a Wii U just so I can play this game*.  A real shame it isn't coming out on 3DS.   I really hope Nintendo will do so at some point. 

-D


*And Mario Kart 8 and some various Mario games that came out on the Wii.  But Mario Maker might be what pushes me over the edge.


2 comments:

  1. I too was surprised that this isn't seeing some type of 3DS release. Even if they only allow you to have access to the palettes from Super Mario Bros. 1 - 3, I would be happy about it and more likely to be excited about seeing it on the 3DS.

    My biggest mental hangup with the game is that people are going to create the hardest levels they can. I think I mentioned it before (either about this game or about another "create your own stages for people to beat"), but I feel that in order for people to post a level for others to play, they have to successfully beat their own creation. If that's not a thing, I really think it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. What's the stop people from making levels that are literally impossible to finish? I am concerned with how to wade through the mountains of levels floating around on the internet. My best hope is that people will share the designers and levels they like the most, and I can use that as a guide.
    People have written a lot about the game so far, so I expect there will be a good amount of articles suggesting levels and stuff.

    As far as the 3DA goes, my best guess is that they're holding out to see if the Wii U can get a boost in sales from the exclusivity. With any luck, something like what you describe will come out in the not too distant future. If I wasn't so ultra-hyped, then I would hold out for the 3DS incarnation.

    ReplyDelete