Monday, October 26, 2015

Game Reviews: All is Dust, Only If, Serena.

This is going to be a very short review of three games that I attempted to play over the last couple of weeks: Only If, Serena, and All is Dust.  I stress the "tried" since with Serena, I turned the game on, hit the Esc. key to go to the options menu to invert the y-axis as I found that moving the mouse up make the POV camera look up and I was exited out of the game.

This will be a theme for the rest of this post.

All three of these games were free through Steam and all looked like they would have some promise.  All is Dust is a POV atmospheric horror that takes place during the dust bowl era.  That alone has captured my attention so I was excited to play a game in an era that I don't think I've played in yet.  The first time I gave up when I found out I couldn't invert the y-axis.  After looking up the game on How Long To Beat, I discovered that since it's supposed to only take me about 15 minutes I would give it another try.  That's when the game crashed without opening up.  Naturally I tried opening the game again but to no avail.  I even tried once more the following day and I was unable to open the game.  So after 12 minutes I gave up on All is Dust.

What makes me sad about not being able to play All is Dust, is that what little of the game I was able to experience, I liked.  The visuals looked pretty decent for what I assumed was a Half-Life 2 mod and the voice acting (that was coming out of the old-timey radio) sounded pretty legit and was appropriately crackly.

With Only If, this was another premise that intrigued, being a "surrealistic first person puzzle adventure game."  However, just like All is Dust, I was unable to change the y-axis on the mouse.  I tried playing but I felt handicapped.  According to HLtB, Only If is a two hour game.  So I gave up.  Plus, I'm pretty sure that this was one of those games that when you hit Esc. or "M" to bring up a menu, nothing happens.  There is no menu and no way to change any of the settings.  Once again, I gave up after playing for 4 minutes.

Lastly, I tried playing Serena, a Half-Life 2: Episode 2 mod.  Thankfully there is a menu option, but nowhere is there an option to invert the y-axis.  All I can tell you about Serena is that the voice acting sounded pretty decent and the visuals, being a HL2:E2 mod looked fitting for 2007.  I quit the game after only one minute.  HLtB says that Serena would only take ~48 minutes, but at that point, I was just too frustrated and annoyed to give the game even that much of my time.  Maybe I should give the game another chance, it does look like the story is regulated to a single space, so there wouldn't be as much need for aiming/strafing.  I might be able to garner enough will power to figure out a non-inverted (or "normal" apparently) mouse scheme.

I realize how nit-picky and spoiled I sound with my "but I cannot invert the y-axis, so I'm not going to play this game," and even reading a lot of the requests on the forums with people asking for inverted y-axis controls makes me feel bad/guilty for having the same sentiment, although over half are people simply asking for an inverted y-axis.  And yet I still wonder if I come across sounding like the "All the best FPS players use inverted mouse :)" guy.  But it genuinely feels like a hinderance that should be relatively easy to fix.  And I don't know if it is an issue with the Unity Engine, which both All is Dust and Only If were made with, but maybe it just is a coincidence that inverting the y-axis is more of an issue than just flipping a switch.

I think I will go back, maybe sometime in the coming weeks and give Serena another try and attempt to train my brain to accept a non-inverted setup as I was able to do it somewhat with the static speaks my name, and that game didn't have any monsters to run away from or guns to shoot.  I think I can do it.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment