Wednesday, October 14, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Maridia Underwater" - Super Metroid (SNES)



"Maridia Underwater" from Super Metroid on SNES (1994)
Game Developer: Nintendo


"The last Metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace."  My friend John posted a picture of Samus with that iconic tagline, and I was instantly launched into Super Metroid nostalgia.  Specifically the song that follows that statement at the start of the game Super Metroid.  I can play the whole thing in my head, look, I'm doing it right now just looking at the quote.

I was originally intending to post that song, but then I got to listening to the soundtrack to Super Metroid, and it is so much gold.  Super Metroid brought a level of lush, spooky beauty to 1994 that I had not previously seen in a video game.  Listening to this soundtrack really makes me want to play the game.  Bad.  

I could truly pick any song from it, but I think I will settle with the melodically spooky "Maridia Underwater Rocky Area."  Which sounds like a happier theme played on a busted music box.  Or something.  It's October, I'm into the spooky.   

-D



No comments:

Post a Comment