Wednesday, October 28, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Moongrains" - Plants vs. Zombies (Everything)


"Moongrains" from Plants vs. Zombies (PC, DS, Mac, Android, Windows, iOS, Brains)
Composer: Laura Shigihara
Record Label: Self Released through Bandcamp
Album: Plants vs. Zombies Soundtrack
Game Developer: PopCap Games


I kind of felt that I needed to have a track from Plants vs. Zombies even though the music isn't particularly scary.  And although not traditionally scary, Conklederp can attest to the fact that she'll start feeling anxious before she realizes that Laura Shigihara's score is playing in the background.  I decided upon "Moongrains" because it's the song that's played during the first night level in the game.  It's also the first level that introduces fungi.  I guess it just seemed appropriate to have the music up for our MIDI Week Singles.

And now I just realized that Halloween is this Saturday which means that I will be no longer obligated to post horror game related songs (which will hot be true), so why not go out with a song from a game that I've played on I've forgotten how many systems I've played the game on.

But yes, the music.  Another reason I went with "Moongrains" instead of "Grasswalk" or the equally iconic "Zombies On Your Lawn" was because I like how in the game you are forced to change the strategy that you've been using for the past 10 levels and that's what this music reminds me of.  That it's familiar and similar enough to "Grasswalk," but different enough that everything's just slightly new again.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. That song is great! I like how it is spooky but not unfriendly. I also like boogie at the end. Plants vs Zombies reminds me of Tetris Attack in that it is a game with a good core gameplay that is supported by really great graphics and sound. Like, the gameplay could stand for itself (as with tetris attack) but the extra production work they do really bolsters the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete