Sunday, October 4, 2015

Monthly Update: October


Similarly to when I got into Zelda Classic over a year ago, I am obsessed with Mario Maker.  Of course, Zelda Classic was free, and I spent $375 to buy Mario Maker and a Wii U (and Mario Kart 8).  So, I'm moving up in the world, I guess.

On first glance, I would say that a Nintendo released Zelda editor wouldn't happen.  Zelda is just too complex.  But as I mull it over, I think it might be possible.  Definitely would want to let the Mario Maker community develop a bit.  Currently, you can use pipes and doors and stuff, not unlike a Zelda level.  Hmm.... that gives me an idea for a Mario Maker level: Tower of babel style!  yay :)

Jane and I have developed a pretty system for video game time.  At my house we play Mario Maker.  And eventually Mario Kart 8, when I get a second controller.  Jane's got a better computer than I do, so we play Steam games at her house.  I'm currently walking her through some of my old favorites, like LIMBO and Sword and Sworcery EP.  She doesn't have a high tolerance for high-skill games, but loves good art and stories.  One new game we're playing is called Undertale which is a very cute RPG that gives you the option of not hurting enemies.  So far we both enjoy it thoroughly.  It's often compared with Earthbound because of the graphics and the funky sense of humor.

When I'm on my own, I have a very simple routine this past month:  Play Mario Maker and watch Fringe.  Maybe eat something.  I am flying through Fringe,  it's definitely got its hooks in me.  I'm about half way through season 3, so there's not much left.  I'm pretty bummed that it will be coming to an end in just one more season.  It just seems like there's so much left to explore.  It's the kind of show where literally anything can happen, so no matter what I'll be a little disappointed when I find out what actually *does* happen as opposed to what *could* happen.  I'll just have to wait and see.  Maybe 2 more weeks before I finish the show.  *edit: turns out there are 5 total seasons, so I'll have it for a while longer

I've started playing Magic: The Gathering with a group of Jane's friends.  They get together at least once a week.  It's a lot of fun to be playing paper magic with new people and in a large group and with cheap beer.  Brings me back to my 20s.  It's also helped to curb my Magic Online habit, which was time consuming and getting expensive.

The last two things I want to talk about are things I can't seem to transition well into.  I guess it's all about how I use my time.  Went to Tahoe, it was awesome. Much kayaking and relaxing on the beach. And then we saw a play called "Mr. Burns, a Post-electric play" which was set in a post-apocalyptic world and was full of Simpsons references.   Eventually the play just gets extremely weird and I had a great time with it.  Great music too- I'll get into it more in a different post.

So, that's all the DRPOTTS news that's fit to print,

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment