Friday, October 30, 2015

Podcasts via You Tube via Roku

I want to talk about three things in this post.  Podcasts, Youtube and Roku.  Lately I've been listening to some of my favorite podcasts on my TV, because the already-crappy speakers on my laptop have become crappier with age.  My brand new TV, on the other hand, boasts comparably robust speakers.  I love podcasts for multi-tasking, and tend to listen while playing Mario Maker, washing dishes or cooking meals.  

My preferred streaming device at this time is Roku.  I got to try one out at my previous room rental, and I found it intuitive.  So when my computer lost its ability to transmit sound to my TV, I decided that, rather than fight with the thing, I'll just buy a Roku for fifty bucks.  Since that purchase, I've watched the entirety of both Farscape and Fringe on Netflix, along with Welcome to Nightvale on Youtube, and lately: Judge John Hodgman.   The funny thing is,  Youtube is pretty terrible on Roku.  The interface is slow and clunky, with at least a second delay every time I press an arrow button to choose what I want to listen to.  Nonetheless, I persist, because it is the best option I have at this time.



I am finally caught up with Welcome to Nightvale.  It's been a great ride.  While some of the intrigue wore off after the first season, the show has introduced so many fun characters that I am always completely entertained.  Additionally, the shows core value of celebrating weirdness resonates with me deeply.  Also, the lead narrator, Cecil, has such a fantastic voice, I have never gotten tired of it.  And some of his very best soliloquies have come in some of the later episodes.  I'd like to share one with you now. 



Now, let’s have a look at traffic.

There are roads. Upon those roads are cars. Some moving, in straight or gently-curved lines. Some idling, in long, narrow crowds. And inside those cars are people. People who are moving, or idling, with their cars. One with their vehicles, sitting quietly, peacefully in plush chairs, hands resting outward on a circle that dictates direction. From the side, and seen without the car, they would look almost fetal. So vulnerable, these people, nestled in their protective outer shells.
Are we living a life that is safe from harm?
Of course not. We never are. But that’s not the right question. The question is are we living a life that is worth the harm?
We are all driving toward something. We are all driving away from something else. It is…the simplicity of physics. The simplicity of free will.
Expect delays as you near the parade day exit, but do not change route.
Stay your course.

This has been traffic.



That segment comes from episode 46, parade day.  Makes me shiver a bit. Of course, I have the benefit of being able to channel Cecil's spooky voice when reading it. I recommend everyone give Welcome to Night Vale a few listens so that you, too, can channel Cecil's voice at will.  

-D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment