Thursday, November 5, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Where the Wind and Feathers Return" - Radiant Historia


"Where the Wind and Feathers Return" - Radiant Historia on the Nintendo DS (2011)
Record Label: Team Entertainment / Sony Music Distribution
Album: Radiant Historia Original Soundtrack
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Game Developer: Atlus


This song, by far is one of my favorite's composed by Yoko Shimomura for Radiant Historia and I feel like the song was written/engineered for the player to have the feels anytime this song cued up.  There's just something about the the harp (I think it's a harp anyway) and the little tingy-bells that whenever this song comes up, you just know that something heartfelt is going to be said, expressed or happen to Stocke and friends as they try to prevent the Sand Plague from doing more damage to the world than it already has been.  And considering that this is a game about traveling between splintering timelines, you know that there are bound to be events that lead people to their deaths.

Sure, sometimes when this song started I felt obligated to feel something for the impending scene and then felt guilty if I felt annoyed by the sappiness, but I would say that the majority of the time, it really was an emotional scene between any number of characters (I did not weep however).  The one thing that I was a little disappointed about with "Where the Wind and Feathers Return" was that when the song picks up in intensity (0:36), I felt that that not only could that moment have held out for just a little longer, but that I also wanted whatever the dramatic event happening in that scene to coincide with that part of the music; but I realize that that is asking a little too much out of a DS game (no offense to the DS system and their games mind you).

So today, a day late, I share with you all this beautiful song from a great JRPG called Radiant Historia that doesn't have all of the conventions of a JRPG.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment