Thursday, December 10, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - Baldur's Gate (PC)


"Main Theme" from Baldur's Gate on the PC (1998)
Composer: Michael Hoenig
Record Label: Self Release
Game Developer: BioWare


I decided to go with the "Main Theme" from the 1998 PC game from BioWare, Baldur's Gate.  I guess it could also be from BeamDog's Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, so let's also say that that is where the song is also from. . .also.

I didn't start playing Baldur's Gate until around 1999, which is about on par with the rate that I've played most computer games, and whenever I hear this theme, I immediately want to play this game.  I could be playing Skyrim or ESO, hear this song from somewhere and I start to question why I am not currently adventuring around the Sword Coast with my beloved Minsc and Boo.  Why aren't I doing that right now!?  I need to be adventuring and to hell with the Ettercaps and Umber Hulks.

Anyway, this relatively short song my German composer Michael Hoenig (who I just found out played with Tangerine Dream back in 1975) manages to accomplish quite a lot for not being as melody driven as other main themes (The Lord of the Rings, Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy), but don't get me wrongly misunderstood, there is melody here, maybe I just meant that it isn't as fanfaric as melodies from the aforementioned franchises, but Baldur's Gate, although high fantasy in the truest sense of the term, has a fairly dark undertone running throughout the entirety of the game (I haven't played the expansions to either BGI or BGII).

So apologies for being a day late (again, le sigh), but I hope you've enjoyed our weekly selection.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment