Monday, December 14, 2015

Obligatory Post About Star Wars


I realize that I probably didn't need to put up a picture of the logo for Star Wars, but I wanted to, so I did.  

I am starting off the week with my post about Star Wars because I am afraid that I might reveal something from the movie that was not in any one of the dozens of trailers.  I know that I like to think of myself as relatively good on the spoiler-free-front, but in this case, I figured a post before I actually saw the movie would not be a bad thing.

Conklederp and I, along with a butt ton of other people will be seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens this Thursday, a day before it is supposed to "officially" open on Friday December 17th.  I guess long gone are the nights of actual midnight showings that start at 12:01am so that theatres could get in an evening priced movie at the latest/earliest time possible*.  I am okay with this too, although deciding on which time to see the movie required a bit of strategy.  The earliest showing is at 7pm, which I thought would be too early to see the film as a that is still a time that practically everybody could go and see the movie.  The 11pm and 12am seemed like it would to attract people who may (or may not) be more likely to yell, cheer, or talk excessively at everything that they like/hate that happens during all 135 minutes of the film.  

So in the end, seeing the film at 10pm seemed like a reasonable time.  We will be out of the theatre close to 12:20am.  Yes, we will be sitting through the end of the credits.

I guess I am just very excited on a number of levels to see this movie.  On one side, it is a Star Wars movie and I really, really, really want to love this movie, but I am not so far gone that I will force myself to love it, even if I am not at all happy with the movie.  On another side, it is a film directed by J.J. Abrams, who is a director/writer whose movies I very much enjoy.  John Williams is doing the score for which I am typically very excited about and only a very small part of my brain/heart is worried that there will be very little new music (similar to what Hans Zimmer did in the Pirates of the Caribbean parts II and III), but I have faith in Sir John Williams (if he's not honorably knighted he should be).

Going into the the movie on Thursday night, I am happy to say that I know very little about the story.  I have not read anybody's speculation about what characters did in the Extended Universe that will translate to this film.  Basically, what I talked about over a year ago when the official teaser was released is where I am at as far as speculation goes.  I want to be surprised and awed.  One thing I did read, a bit of non-spoiler trivia if you will, is that Mark Hamill, is 64 years old whereas Sir Alec Guinness was 63 when Star Wars came out back in 1977; interesting I would say.

So that is what I have to say about Star Wars for the time being.  I am excited and very much looking forward to Thursday night.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Forever We'll Believe

*P.S.  Major kudos to my Dad for being the master salesman/people-person that he is, was able to convince a theatre employee, in a very nice and not-at-all-mean-manner, that because we were seeing a movie at 12:01am, that it is morning, before the 1pm cut off time for matinees and therefore should be charged as such.  He did it all with a smile on his face and a laugh, which the the employee agreed with a smile on her face as well.  I wish I could recall which movie we were going to see, but I've forgotten.  Maybe Braveheart on its re-release in theatres back in the winter of '95?  I'll have to ask him over Christmas, but I'm not sure if even he'll remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment