Saturday, January 2, 2016

2015 year in review

 2015 was a big year, full of changes.  When the year began, I was playing PS2 games on my roommates PS3, and I was just starting my career with temporary employment services.  Now, come years end, I've got a Wii U, my own apartment, a girlfriend and a full time job.  All of these changes have been interconnected, and they've made for an interesting year.

My girlfriend Jane and I started dating in January, and we have spent a lot of time together, sharing our various interests.  Many of my television and gaming choices this year have been informed by my relationship with Jane.  We played through four games of the Blackwell series together, along with numerous board games.  Additionally, I watched (and enjoyed) the 90s sci fi show  Farscape all the way through.  With her blessing, I bought a Wii U and Super Mario Maker, and Mario Kart 8.  She has been my level tester and co-racer.  Looking ahead, we are talking of getting a place of our own, together.

I definitely played a smaller total number of video games this year. Additionally, I've tapered off on my blogging.  I can only blame poor time management skills.  Between my new job and girlfriend, and all of my various hobbies, I just haven't been as consistent with writing about these things.  I have a list, many pages long of Pak Watch games I want to talk about, and I've got partial reviews of card and video games I've played.  And then there are games that I haven't gotten around to playing.  Some of them I own.  Some were gifts.  But still, they sitting in my Steam account, collecting electronic dust.

Oh well.   I still harbor dreams of playing each and every one of them.  When I view my Steam library from the 'large' format, where there are large rectangles for each game, I imagine just popping through and trying them out, one by one.  Perhaps when I've got a dedicated gaming PC, I will do something like that.  Or maybe.... pray tell, a steambox!   (piston?)  Whatever happened with the Steam Machine anyway?   Point is,  dedicated gaming consoles have something over PCs when it comes to the interface.  At least, that's how I feel.  It's just really nice to sit back on the couch with a controller in hand.  I guess the Wii U has really driven that home this year.

In my dreams, I play the 'games you might not of tried' and I write about them, and I make a meager salary.  As it is, I play what a can, when it suits me.  If I can incorporate Jane, then all the better.  I expect in the coming year, I will be playing a great many more 2-player board games, card games and video games.  While coming up with a number of post ideas and completing very few of them.  And I'm okay with this.  I'd like to do more, but I won't beat myself up about it.  Because why would I do this if it wasn't fun?   

Alright, that's all from me for now.  Happy New Year,

-D

P.S.  Interesting - my first post of last year was on Undertale.  Which has since exploded into massive popularity.  You heard it here first, folks!   Or:  I knew about Undertale before it was cool!   


P.P.S.  Also, I played a lot of Magic: The Gathering in 2015.  I may do a follow-up to talk about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment