Wednesday, January 13, 2016

MIDI Week Single: Theme of Crisis Core "Under the Apple Tree" - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII


"Theme of Crisis Core 'Under the Apple Tree' " from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII  on the Playstation Portable (2007)
Record Label: Warner Music Japan
Game Developer: Square Enix



Not this track in particular, but another one from this soundtrack came up this morning while I was drinking my daily caffeine addiction and after talking with Conklederp as well as looking over what systems we've covered here on MIDI Week Singles, I thought a track from a PSP game would go well, and since the soundtrack to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is the only other soundtrack from a PSP title that I have (after Gun: Showdown, which I already covered last year), I thought this would be a great track from a game that I had a lot of fun playing.

The trick with picking a track from Crisis Core is that a lot of the music hearkens back or is an arrangement of a song that Nobuo Uematsu wrote for Final Fantasy VII, which is perfectly fine, but I wanted to choose a song that was very clearly from Crisis Core, but that still invoked a familiar feeling of the world in Final Fantasy VII, one might even say a simpler time before Sephiroth went a little AWOL.  Although some might say that there was never a simpler time in the Final Fantasy VII world that's been depicted in the games.

I honestly do not recall when the theme used for "Under the Apple Tree" was first used in the game, but I do recall being immediately struck by the sound of the guitar work, which isn't overly intricate, but still beautiful, and was able to fit within the musical world that Nobuo Uematsu had already created.  It's one of two main themes that Takeharu Ishimoto composed for the game, or at least one of two that I am able to pick out that isn't one of the battle themes.  It is one of the themes though that whenever it crops up makes me want to revisit that world before Avalanche.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment