Thursday, February 18, 2016

MIDI Week Single: "Fever" from Dr. Mario (NES)


"Fever" from Dr. Mario on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1990)
Composer: Hirokazu Tanaka
Album: Famicom 20th Anniversary Original Soundtrack Vol. 3, Famicom Sound History Series "Mario the Music.", and NINTENDO Famicom Music.
Label: Scitron Digital Contents, Inc., and NIPPON Columbia.
Developer: Nintendo R&D 1




Whenever I think of Dr. Mario, "Fever" is the quintessential song that comes to mind.  Like "Korobeiniki" for Tetris on the Gameboy or "Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy" for Tetris on the NES.  "Fever," at least to me is Dr. Mario's theme.  The other option is the song "Chill," which is still quite an appropriate song, but it doesn't have that extra something that "Fever" has; but to each their own; although maybe I will cover "Chill" on a future date as it has plenty elements and themes that I like.

I also like that Hirokazu Tanaka (Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Tetris) who wrote the music for Dr. Mario, not that I think that Koji Kondo would've done a bad job, but I just like seeing one of the other older composers for Nintendo.

So in this season of flues and colds and fevers and chills, stay healthy out there as I myself am finally recovering from roughly three weeks of flu turned sore throat turned cough turned recovery.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, great choice! After just a couple beats, my mind jumped ahead to the fun part where there is a little pause and a sort of rude note. I immediately want to drop a fart sound into that part. This song is great, and it reminds me of another song from a similar era, which I will feature in next week's column!

    ReplyDelete