Friday, March 4, 2016

Monthly Update: March 2016



Woah, March is already here.  

I think I have a bit to talk about, at least that's what the labels I have listed for today's article seems to imply, so let's go through it all.

In the gaming-verse, I just finished both Dead Space 3 and the Awakening DLC which came out to about 23 hours total.  Without going into too much detail right now, I will say that I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I did with Dead Space 2, which kind of surprised me as it was a lot more action oriented than the original Dead Space and there was the co-op aspect of the game that I was not looking forward to having to deal with; although it turned out that it wasn't as required of an aspect as I had previously thought it to be.

In Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I've now reached the point where I am not only hunting down Mordor Captains, but the War Chiefs as well.  I am having a lot of fun with the game as Conklederp also enjoys watching, but I've been feeling for a while that there is not as much to the game as I had originally thought.  Admittedly though, I do spend a lot of time just hunting down Captains and getting killed by caragors and the damned annoying ghul matron.  I'm still not 100% sold on the main character, Talion's design as I just think he looks too bulky.

I've also been playing a lot of ATV Wild Ride 3D, a 3D version of Renegade Kid's ATV Wild Ride.  Normally it's not my type of game (ATV racing), but I have a bit of thing for the games that Renegade Kid puts out (Dementium I & II, Mutant Muds, Moon) and I had read/heard that it's comparable to Excitebike, which I now understand.  Plus the soundtrack is damn good with plenty of catchy original songs by Swift Justice and the Hired Goons.

In other 3DS schtuff, in the next month and-a-half Nintendo will be releasing nine SNES games in their eShop.  The titles are Super Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country 2, which all sound great.  The downside though is that they are slated to be released only on the "New" 3DS system, as opposed to the original 3DS.  This makes me pretty sad for a couple of reasons, the main one being that because I don't have the New 3DS, I won't have access to any of these games and I seriously hope that this doesn't mean that Nintendo's future releases on the Virtual Console will not be New 3DS exclusive.  I will not be happy.

Moving onto non-video gaming topics.  I've mentioned Ravenloft a number of times (I think), and today the new campaign setting and story Curse of Strahd was released to local gaming stores (it will be available online on March 15th), which I think is a great marketing tactic by Wizards of the Coast.  Needless to say, which is why I am still saying it, I am super excited about 5th Edition's delving into Ravenloft.  There has been a slough of materials that WotC has released to drum up interest and maintain anticipation for this new product's release.  Conklederp and I are about halfway (maybe?) though the free Ravenloft adventure, Death Housewhich has been a lot of fun so far.  It's great to be back in Barovia.

I also backed the Cyanide and Happiness Kickstarter for their own card game (because I'm apparently a sucker for card games), Joking Hazard.  In a similar vain, our friends group has had the chance to play Exploding Kittens a number of times and I have had a lot fun.  I love that it's designed to be played in 10-15 minutes.  But Joking Hazard looks to be pretty funny, and let me tell you I'll take any advantage to making me at least look like I can be funny.

Plus there're these annoying things called "finals" coming up in the next few weeks, so we'll just have to see how much I get accomplished before the month is out.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

P.S.  Oh, and then there's been season 5 of Vikings that's currently on, House of Cards season 4 which comes out today, the Game of Thrones season 5 blu-ray coming out in under two weeks, the season premiere of Bates Motel and some catching up to do in The Walking Dead universe.  And there're some miniatures that I need to finish painting.  And a song that Vorlynx wrote a number of years ago that I need to record vocals for.

P.P.S I'm sure that there're things I've forgotten to bring up, but that's what the rest of the month is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment