Wednesday, July 13, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Praying Hands (Cloud Castle BGM)" - Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)


"Praying Hands (Cloud Castle BGM)" from Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge on the Game Boy (1991)
Composer: Hidehiro Funauchi
Album: Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX
Label: Sony Music Distribution
Developer: Konami


Despite not having played this particular Castlevania game (why not release it on Virtual Console like y'all did for Castlevania: The Adventure, huh!?), I did acquire the music from the game as I'm a sucker for all things Castlevania music related. . .well almost, as I don't have any of the recent game soundtracks or the ones from the PS2 era.  That being said, I can say that my liking of this song is not from any nostalgia standpoint.  I just think it's a pretty cool song with composer Hidehiro Funauchi doing a great job with the Game Boy's limited music chip (4-bit music) using two different types of percussion sounds often "at the same time," or at least sounding like it.

The biggest criticism I have about this song, is that I do not get the feeling of being in a Cloud Castle (a castle in the clouds or a castle constructed from clouds).  That is it.  The music itself I find to be very fitting for the Castlevania brand, if a little more fantasy related rather than the gothic horror of the later games. But with the premise of Simon Belmont's descendant, Christopher Belmont exploring castles with differing themes (Crystal, Rock, Plant, and Stone) comes across as a little hokier than what one might expect from a game whose story revolves around killing hoards of undead.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment