Wednesday, July 20, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "War: The White Weapon" - Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP)


"War: The White Weapon" from Final Fantasy Type-0 on the Playstation Portable (2011)
Developer: Square Enix


I wanted to break our once-a-year posting of a song from a PSP game (something I did not realize until just now), and decided upon "War: The White Weapon" from Final Fantasy Type-0.  Which I should mention is a game that I have never played, but a handful of the music was used in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call and I actually just finished a BMS (Battle Music Stage) with this track and I thought that it would make a nice addition to our collection here.

Now, I have no idea what "The White Weapon" is and even after a cursory Googling, I am still not any wiser as to who or what it is associated with.  I do know in the early Final Fantasy days, that the White Mage spell "Holy" was changed to "White" due to Nintendo's rules about having religious depictions of Judaeo-Christian symbolism removed from North American games because of. . .reasons?  Maybe this is a reference to those early days of Nintendo censorship?  So this is what I will assume (until I actually get around to playing the HD release of FFT-0HD.

As far as the music goes, it's a pretty heavy and chugging piece of battle music and since it occurs so late in the soundtrack (Track 13, Disc 2), I will again assume that this is a mini-boss encounter.  I could be wrong though, but since it is also used as battle music in Theatrhythm (which doesn't hold true for all of the BMS songs as Aerith's Theme from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is also used in a BMS), I am going to assume that this is true.  Maybe.  When the melody comes in at 0:20, to me it sounds very classic battle music that you would find in any Final Fantasy game from FFIV and beyond.  One interesting note though is that the song has a definite end to it, although is still perfectly loopable (sp?) at about 1:52.  But that lead up to 1:52 starting at 1:37 is pretty damn awesome and exciting (and can be terrifying in Theatrhythm as the notes come flying).

Generally I like what Takeharu has brought to the Final Fantasy franchise since his work on CC:FFVIII and I would like to see him associated with more Square Enix titles aside from what he's already done with The World Ends With You, and the Dissidia: Final Fantasy franchise.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment