Monday, September 12, 2016

First Impressions: The First Signs of Rust (PC)


[Disclaimer: I wrote this article back on August 11th, but because I had wanted to post articles that I said I was going to write in August's Monthly Update, I did not post this article when it was first written.]

I picked up Rust during the "Humble Survive This Bundle" and I am very excited to try this game out, especially after my confusion/frustration with Day-Z.  I had also brought this game up to Conklederp a while back and about their implementation of their new character generation system where your gender and ethnicity was decided for your by using some algorithm or just pure randomness.  Both Conklederp and I both agreed that people having to "live with" the choices that they are born into as far as your ethnicity was a very cool mechanic as a way to have the in game population be filled with more than just white men.  The modern definition of gender identity though is somewhat more of a difficult concept to in a video game so having your character either male or female, again is something that the player will have to deal with.  Basically, Extra Credits said it a lot better (although since this was posted back in May 2015, women have been introduced as playable characters, but still chosen for you).

That being said, I joked to Conklederp that I really liked this idea that I could hypothetically be "forced" to play as a black woman (being the gender that I am not and an ethnicity that I am also not).  With this in mind, I then said that I'll probably end up as a white male, if for any other reason than because I do not actually care too much about either my in-game gender, ethnicity, or race.  In a number of The Elder Scrolls games I have played as nearly every race and gender, so I am not overly concerned with how I am viewed by others in an online community.  In regards to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, I do not recall hearing an outcry that you were forced to play a black male; although maybe there was, but it was over shadowed by a cup of hot coffee?

My main point in writing this is because I am about to boot up the game for the first time and I wanted to put down my initial thoughts about the gender and ethnicity "controversy" over characters being forced to play whatever gender and ethnicity that is picked for them (and forced to stay as that identity is attached to their Steam ID).  So when I come back, I will reveal what it is that I have been assigned with.  (August 11th, 2016 - 18:51)

It is now 19:39 on the same day (August 11th, 2016) and I have an answer for you.


Yup.  Jaconian is a bald black man with a reasonably sized box over my equally bald testicles and penis because this is a family friendly space on the internet (is it though?).  This picture actually happened during my second life since I was killed during my first life while standing in a puddle of water trying to figure out the key bindings and where/how to invert the y-axis.  Which brings me to dying.

I died a lot.  Well, I died four times with my longest life lasting 15 minutes 31 seconds and my shortest life was 1 minute 19 seconds.  Yes, the game tells you how long you were unkilled, who killed you and with what you were killed with.


That 15m31s life probably could have lasted longer, but I had climbed all the way up an "abandoned" tower after trying to chase the location of a downed helicopter (so that I could find some sweet ass lootz) and wanted to see if I could jump into the body of water below me and survive a la Skyrim.  I couldn't and I died screaming while clutching whatever mass of uncrumbled limb was still attached.

Well, I guess you could say that my overall first impression of Rust is that I oddly had fun, despite being naked and afraid and frequently beating objects with a rock because my presumed unlit torch didn't make as much of a satisfying sound when I hit things.  During the 15m31s life, I did manage to find a box with a bottle of water and two chocolate bars.  I ate one of the bars and felt that I should save the other for when my hunger level dipped low.  I didn't make it that long.  Because I died.

There will be a more detailed First Impressions article to come later after I have spent more than my current 38 minutes trying to figure out the game, how to interact with objects before I die (because people will just straight up murder you), and then tinker around with the graphics so that I'm playing at slightly more than 18 fps, which is doable, but we'll see what one step below "good" does.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
He Couldn't Take Another Day

No comments:

Post a Comment