Wednesday, September 7, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Darksiders Theme" - Darksiders (PC)


"Darksiders Theme" from Darksiders on PC, PS3, PS4, ,XB360, XBOne, Wii U, & Linux (2010)
Composer:  Mike Reagan & Chris Velasco
Developer: Vigil Games


Yet another game in a series that I have not played and until recently, had not listened to the soundtrack either.  I have the game on Steam too (Humble Bundle I believe) and all I can tell you about it is that there is something to do with either Death, a Reaper, or similar Horseman of the Apocalypse type character and that it involves a horse.  And maybe a big sword.  And now I can say it includes a bombastically large soundtrack complete with choir (which I typically consider to be a good thing).

It took me a bit to figure out what this piece (from about 53 seconds in) reminded me of, and it is Tyler Bates' score from 300 (2006), which was taken/borrowed from Elliot Goldenthall's score from Titus (1999); specifically "Returns a King" and "Victorious Titus" respectively.  Maybe this reminiscence just adds to the cinematic aspect of the song and now I have built up the game to be some mash up of the action from 300 coupled with a Shakespearean drama story (although I am not familiar with Shakespear's Titus Andronicus or know much about the historical figure). It probably helps that both Mike Reagan and Chris Velasco have written music for the God of War series (of which I have only played one title on the PSP).  Yeah, I think it is time I booted up that game, all due to the opening track being pretty damn awesome.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment