Thursday, September 29, 2016

MTG: Kaladesh Prerelease

I'm at the point now, that whenever a new Standard Magic set is released, I like to attend the prerelease event.  Magic Prerelease events are held at comic and card stores around the world, and they include specialized packages and prizes.  It's basically a Magic tournament, and I've had fun at the four I've attended so far. 

Most recently, this past weekend I attended the prerelease for the new set, Kaladesh at our local midtown comic shop, Big Brother.  This is my preferred comic shop, which recently moved to a new location after a fire.  The new location is great, and they had a good room for the tournament.  



I did poorly at the tournament. To qualify for a prize, you had to, at least, win 2, lose 1 and draw 1.  I won one game, and lost three.  One of the losses came against my friend Ghost, who also didn't qualify for prizes.  This made me feel better.  While I was disappointed I didn't do better, it was not a lasting feeling.
  
I find this new set interesting, but I didn't get a good set of cards.  My two best rares were in completely different color sets.  Depala, Pilot Exemplar and Nissa, Vital Force  I actually opened two copies of Depala, but only one vehicle card!  And it was a bad vehicle.  Nonetheless I chose to build my deck around Depala, because I had about 6 other dwarf cards, and I felt that was enough.  It almost was, but not quite.  I am excited to play this set some more, most likely in Magic Online.  But maybe in person at a Friday Night Magic event.


My biggest goofup of the day was when I tried to play a second Depala, forgetting that I could only play one copy of a legendary creature at a time (also forgetting that Depala was Legendary at all).  My opponent graciously let me take that move back.  After that, I decided that I would prefer to have fun, so I joked around a lot with my opponents.  My first opponent was pretty serious, but my following opponents were more relaxed, and I was able to make them laugh.  And lose.  But I don't mind so much.   

All in all, I enjoyed myself, got to interface with the Magic community outside my usual kitchen-table friend group.  And I was not disappointed in the community.  I can't wait for the next set  Who knows, maybe I'll even attend a Friday Night Magic.  

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment