Wednesday, November 16, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Pueblucho" - Guacamelee! (PS3, PSV, PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Wii U, 360, XBOne)


"Pueblucho" from Guacamelee! on nearly every system between the 360 and Wii U, (but not the 3DS sadly enough) (2013).
Composer: Rom Di Prisco
Label: DrinkBox Studios
Developer: DrinkBox Studios


For whatever the reason being, I have been listening to the soundtrack from Guacamelee! for about three years now, but I had not played the game.  I mean, I love Metroidvania style games, and the art style here, but I guess I could just sum it up as not having gotten around to it amidst a queue of a few dozen uplayed games.  So yesterday, after finding out that a game on Steam would not play because it was so integrated into Games for Windows Live that it was unplayable, I thought I would start up Guacamelee!, and I am so very glad that I did.  Now I have context for all of this music from composers Rom Di Pisco and Peter Chapman that I have been hearing since 2013.

With "Pueblucho" (which I looked up because I do not speak Spanish, translates to "Poky Old Town"), I liked the song prior to playing the game, but after playing for a couple of hours, when I was able to return to Pueblucho after having been away for a while, I immediately thought, "yup, I'm back home now."  Similar to how the song "Beyond the Canyon" made me feel somewhat safe in Fallout 2, "Pueblucho" has that calming sensation.  To me, it is a simple song, but not simple in its construction or execution, but simple in that I am able to follow the song and can listen to each part individually or everything as a whole without losing any part of the song.  It is all there and I like it.

One other possible reason why I really like this song, is probably because being a trumpet player myself, I am pretty sure that I could cover the trumpet part as it does not play like it was written for Arturo Sandoval.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment