Friday, December 23, 2016

Final Review: Pokemon Picross (3DS)


About two weeks ago (I believe it was two weeks. . .okay, so it was three), I finally reached the end of the main campaign/story mode in Pokémon Picross on the Nintendo 3DS.  This is an amazing and fun introduction into picross puzzles, but only if you have the patience for a free experience.

Pokémon Picross is a free to start game available only through Nintendo's eShop and only for the 3DS, although I already talked quite a bit about the game shortly after I started playing back on January 16th of this year.  If you are looking for a general run down of the game, I would recommend reading that article as this time around, I am just going to briefly cover my overall joy that I experienced over the last 11 months.

In total, I spent 97 hours 12 minutes playing this free game.  30 stages, 304 Pokémon caught, 312 puzzles solved, not including two mural puzzles each made up of 64 10x10 puzzles.  Granted some of that time was probably spent with my 3DS open and not doing anything, but most of those 97 was spent actually playing any one of a massive amount of puzzles in a free game from Nintendo.

Probably the biggest reason why it took me so long, was because I played this as a free game.  You have the option to pay for either energy refills rather than waiting for the timer, which translates to one unit of energy for each minute in real-world-time, or by purchasing Picrites, the currency used to purchase access to additional stages and for increasing the number of Pokémon you are allowed to bring into each puzzle.  I decided that I would take my pretty time by not making any currency exchanges and as it turned out, 97 hours is what it took me.  You, the master picross puzzler and accurate puzzle marker on the somewhat small 20x15 puzzles where the squares are fairly small, might take significantly less time since you may not have wasted energy filling in the wrong square over and over again.

Plus, there is the "Alt-World" that I have yet to open that has the same 312 puzzles, but with a slightly different method of marking the blocks, so there is probably another 50+ hours.  Again, this is a lot of content for a game that can be completed for free and was released by Nintendo.

So in closing, here is a breakdown of my playtime:

Started: January 16, 2016
Completed Zones 00 - 30 and two mural puzzles: November 29, 2016
Time: 97h 12m
Average Time: 20m each time I logged on to play.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment