Friday, December 2, 2016

Monthly Update: December 2016


Thinking about what I wanted to discuss about what happened last month (the US Presidential Election aside), there is either a lot that I want to cover over a large number of sentences, or a lot that will be covered in the one sentence it's brought up in.  So let's work in semi-reverse order to how stuff happened during November 2016.

I was initially going to talk about The Game Awards 2016 that aired/streamed last night, but what was supposed to be a brief mention, maybe a paragraph at most has mushroomed into a full semi-fledged article, so know that, probably sometime next week there will be an article covering that bit of somewhat cringe worthy bit of Internetal awardsness.

In the video gaming front, I have restarted (or more accurately, gotten back into) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow because I was getting frustrated with Guacamelee! and didn't feel like jumping back into Resident Evil 5 right at that moment.  I finally managed to defeat the first Lord of Shadow, Cornell after realizing that I wasn't dodging like I should have been the umpteen dozen times I had previously spent trying to kill the Lycan bastard.  Oh, and after I finished Resident Evil: Revelations last week (or whenever it was), I started up Resident Evil 5 since it follows RE:R chronologically although the games were released three years apart, and I have started the preliminary process of a First Impressions article that will come up either next week, the following week, or sometime after those vague dates.  Then earlier in the month, a few days before Thanksgorgefestgiving, I booted up Castle Crashers for the first time and played a few hours with Chreekat.  That my friends, is a fun beat-em-up arcade style game, but you probably already knew that since it came out eight years ago on the 360.  Then, I also started up Chrono Trigger (the 2008 DS port; sensing an unintentional theme here?) although there will probably be no article about that seeing as how it's a 19 year old SNES game that doesn't need anything more said about it than, "It's a classic RPG that should be played by damn near everyone."

Oh yeah, the US Presidential Election happened, but moving on.

And what the hell was and is up with no one having a Nintendo Classic for sale besides scalpers who feel the need to buy up every one they find and charging $212 for one!?  And where did $211.99 come from?  Who came up with that number!?  353% of the MSRP?  Target, Bestbuy and Gamestop don't even have it available to order from 3rd party sellers (good on them for that though), but SchmallSchmart only has 3rd party sellers and theirs is going for $264.95.  The same thing happened with the special Black Friday edition of the New 3DS systems through Amazon that were going for the low-low price of $99.99, were quickly sold out (I read some articles that said it was within minutes) and are now being hawked for ~$164.50 (depending on the color).  This makes me genuinely afraid to see how the Nintendo Switch release is going to go.  I realized that it's a supply and demand issue here, but when people specifically buy out a product in order to create a black market so that they can make money (assuming that people are willing to pay their asking price).  But if eBay is any indicator, there are people who desperately want it enough to "bid" upwards of $177.50.  I have also seen a number of posts on various subreddits [citation needed] where people either buy consoles or games for the sole purpose of collecting said items without the intention of ever playing them.  I know this is a thing that has been around since collecting things became a thing, but for the rest of the public. . . okay, I'm'a stop whining now.

Board games this month have consisted of two sessions of Mansions of Madness, and one of Betrayal of House on the Hill, but sadly no Dungeons & Dragons for about two months, but that's what happens when you have seven people in a group and run into three months of holidays; no judgements though as neither Conklederp or I are really available on weekends from ThanksNoPoliticalTalksgiving through the beginning of the New Year.  Things are in the works for a more frequent meeting of the group, but things need to be hashed out first.

I am pretty sure that there is at least one thing that I had wanted to cover that I have since forgotten about, but sometimes you just need to cut things loose and let them wander the wilds of the Internet on their own.  Anyway, I'm going to go watch a movie now, because it's almost 10pm and I really should get this article posted before the end of the day.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
A Freight Train Running Through The Middle Of My Head



P.S.  I did finish KHOLAT too, which is something that I just remembered, but there will be an article because that was a really fun game and deserves to be talked more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment