Sunday, December 18, 2016

PS3 so far (ramble)



I'm just stopping in to talk about my progression with my new (used) PS3.   So far, no operating issues.  Jane and I sometimes run the thing for up to three hours in a day.  Our two games are Katamari Damacy and Final Fantasy IX, neither of which are Playstation 3 games, but that's okay.  As you can see above, I'm mashed the two together in a not-particularly smooth way.  

Katamari has been a big hit.  Jane and I take turns and have played through nearly every level.  Like any other good puzzle game, it is relaxing but also tense.  It's mesmerizing to just roll things up, endlessly.  I think sometimes the best puzzle games have you do just 1 thing.  Line up colors, fit pieces into spaces.  Roll things up.  Just do this one thing over and over and enjoy the pretty colors along the way.  

Final Fantasy Nine has really scratched the JRPG itch that I was feeling.  I will say it's a little slow, though.  I've gotten to the end of disc 1, but I dont' find myself overly invested in the plot or characters.  This doesn't have to be a bad thing.  If I'm feeling the same way by the end of disc 2, then I'll probably stop playing.  At this point, my favorite character is Freya, she's great!  I love her character design, and what I've seen of her personality, and I really love Dragoons, from previous FF games.  

I also had a lot of fun prepping for this purchase.  It's funny, after owning like... idunno, 200 Steam games, but dropping off in my playing habits, it seems Consoles are just where it's at for me.  I want so many games!  I guess it's just the acquisition game.  That being said, a new, budget gaming computer is my next project.  When I have an extra $500, I'm going to get one, hook it up to our living room TV, and pretend it's a console.  At which point, emulating PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Wii should all be easy enough.  

Now, a wise man might say 'don't buy any games for your systems, save that money and buy the computer.'  And I'm sure said wise man would be right.  But... I'm not gonna do that.  I'll probably buy a game a month or so.  After all, I feel a little more morally right when buying games.  PS1 games are 5$, PS3 games are $20 as are Wii/Wii U games.  After we've played Katamari into the ground, I think Wario Ware Smooth Moves, might be next.  A colorful goofy game that Jane can enjoy.  Then, after FFIX, I probably will want to pick up an HD copy of windwaker, or, go a different direction and get Dino Crisis, to enjoy Resident Evil, with Dinosaurs. 

Okay, to ramble off the end of this ramble, I'll publish my current 'want list' for Wii/Playstation games: 

Wii-U $20
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wari Ware, Smooth Moves
Zelda, Windwaker HD
Xenoblade Chronicles

PS1 $5
Vagrant Story
Grandia
Dino Crisis
Parasite Eve
Bushido Blade *
Parappa the Rapper *
*=not available digitally, or for $5

PS2 $??
Dragon Quest 8*
Silent Hill 2*

PS3
Journey, $15
Bioshock $10
Ni no Kuni $20
Okami HD $15
Majin and the forsaken kingdom*
Unfinished Swan,  $15


oh man, looking at this list again, Journey, Unfinished swan, Ni No Kuni... man, these games seem sweet.  Okami HD is also really cool looking game, but I hear basically a Zelda game.  I gotta choose these based on gameplay, on what i want to play and what I think Jane will play.  So many games.  so so many games.  


-D

No comments:

Post a Comment