Thursday, February 2, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Airship BGM" - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)


"Airship BGM" from Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1988/1990)
Composer: Koji Kondo
Developer: Nintendo R&D4




I actually thought of this song yesterday (being Wednesday) while standing at the counter making coffee, although the first song that popped into my head (but not the one I was thinking of) was "The Red Wings" from Final Fantasy II/IV.  But then I knew that that was not the right airship theme that I wanted to use because when I thought of "Airship BGM" from Super Mario Bros. 3, I became slightly anxious and all the music needs to complete that feeling is the buh-duu of the cannons and the sound of Mario/Luigi skidding to a stop before jumping out of the way from being nearly crushed by the ship's bulwark.

I was never particularly great at Super Mario Bros. 3 despite having it on the NES and playing it frequently enough that I should have been a lot better than I actually was.  I was pretty good on the first two to three levels but it was around levels four and five (maybe six?) that I hit a wall and/or ran out of lives, with a fair amount of those lives being spent on the airship levels.  To date, I still have never beaten Super Mario Bros. 3 without the help from the Game Genie.  

But nevertheless and is the case with other songs that have played during areas/parts/sections in games that have caused me some manner of stress, they tend to be the songs that I cannot ever forget, hence its inclusion in our MIDI  Week Singles section.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment