Wednesday, March 22, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Blades of Steel" - Game Start (NES)


"Game Start" from Blades of Steel on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987)
Album: No official release
Developer: Konami



Aggghhh!  It's bugging me what two songs this one song reminds me of, which might mean that I should hold off posting this until after I figure it out, but we're going to do this anyway, mainly because I love this game, I think this song is great, and to try and infect the rest of the people who listen to this little ditty.  The sections that I am positive I have heard before are the beats during the intro, and then the outro first heard from 0:29 - 0:32.  I can hear voices singing a song, but I cannot think of what that song is.

Buuuuuuut, Blades of Steel.  Being a sports game on the NES, there was not a lot of memory available for constant background music, what with the ambient static of the crowd cheering, the sound of the puck being passed and the players yelling "take the pass!"  And what music that was actually present in the game was fairly limited in scope, but something about this track is just memorable, possibly because it reminds me of two songs that I am presently unable to think of.  Although it is most likely due to the fact that whomever of the four composers wrote this song (if it was not a collaboration), had also written music for Life Force, Jackal, Rush'n Attack, and Contra, so this is a powerhouse team of classic Konami composers.  I wish there was an easier way to find out which of the four composers wrote which songs, but I have yet to find that identifying information.

GOT IT!!  That last section, the 0:29 - 0:32 is similar to the chord progression in the Village People's "YMCA" from 0:37 - 0:42.  Jeez that would have been bugging me all day, but there you have it.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment