Monday, April 3, 2017

Monthly Update: April 2017

 

For being the month of my birth, it was quite a low key one.  No late nights of unabashed debauchery.  No week long soirees into foreign countries to mingle with the locals while spending the GDP worth of a small Eurpoean country.  I did make a trip down to Nor*Cal mid-March to semi-visit with my Parents and was able to meet up with Dr. Potts and Vorlynx (sorry DellaƱos), then flew back up to the PNW.  Our group finished the quest I wrote that ended up taking a lot longer than anticipated (but most/all had fun), then we played a short one-off quest that I wrote and all went well on that front as well; I may get around to posting those quests sometime after I go through and rework some things that I hadn't anticipated during the writing process.

And speaking of writing process, I am nearing the end (or the beginning, depending on how my brain is thinking) of writing another quest based around the town of Baldur's Gate, mainly because that is where our D&D group is located, but the quest could take place anywhere there are people living (city, village, hamlet).  This has actually taken up a lot of my time the last couple of weeks.  I had actually started writing one quest, then determined that that would work better a couple of quests in and started writing another.  Then, I decided to be a four year late-comer and bought a quest that may revolve around Baldur's Gate that has given me more information about this famous city than I have ever seen in one place.  Seriously, the book contains 60+ pages on information just about Baldur's Gate, its histories and important citizens at the time of 5E, then the campaign portion is only 31 pages. I wish every module that WotC released would have this much detail about the area and regions contained in the story; yes, I already have The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

And since this book/module/quest is considered cannon and mentions events that happened in the 1998 PC game Baldur's Gate, I decided to restart up the game (fourth or fifth time since Beamdog's Enhanced Edition was released, but have yet to finish it) and actually get around to finishing it this time.  This time around, I went with a Half-Elf Fighter/Mage and I may update with my progress, because there'll be nothing new to report about a 19 year old video game, but who knows.

Speaking of 19 year old games, I am still plodding along with the 10 year old The Witcher.  I think what my problem, if you could call it that, is that I want to do every side quest in the chapter I receive them in, just in case the main quest takes me out of the area and my ability to not do that quest is taken away.  So I am taking my pretty time, approximately 61 pretty hours to date with no real sign of letting up either, and I am still okay with that.

But looking at 22 year old games, I am again, at a weird stage with Chrono Trigger (the nine year old DS port, being played on my 3DS) in that I cannot decide if I should just up and take on Lavos, or do more side quests and complete the hell out of the game before saving the world.  I think I might see if I can defeat Lavos and go from there, be it grinding more levels by doing additional side quests, or giving the game a break and going back to Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS for a bit.  Which I am very much enjoying.  The only downside to the game, is that I feel internalized pressure to come up with levels that are more complex than what you would find in either Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario World, but since those are the kinds of levels that I actually like to play, I may stick with that formula.  Because hey, that is what I like.

In mobile games, I finished the main quest in Fire Emblem Heroes and in short, I was very impressed with another of Nintendo's foray into the mobile game market.  There will be an article in the next few weeks.  But I will say that this game has very much influenced me to check out other games in the Fire Emblem series, a series that I had yet to play anything from despite the fact that I love tactics games; well, a few anyway.

Movie-wise, while down south in the North, I did see Logan with Dr. Potts and damn that was a good movie.  The only thing I was questioning for the first twenty minutes or so was the character of Caliban, who I was not familiar with except from The Tempest.  I was very much impressed with Daphne Keen's acting, considering she was acting with Sir Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman for over two hours; also being her first movie and second acting gig.  Conklederp and I are still needing to see Get Out, and I would like to get around to see The Belko Experiment, partly because James Gunn wrote the story, but also because I love the idea of Office Space meets Battle Royale.  Admittedly, I am still on the fence about Ghost in the Shell, so that looks like it'll end up being a wait and see (and staying away from the reviews).  Lastly, the first trailer for IT came out late last week and all fears (about the quality of the movie; still creeped out by clowns, but not to the level of Coulrophobia) have been alleviated for the most part.  I am still very curious to who is writing the music, which could end up being a very good thing, or a bad thing, we'll just have to wait until September 8th to find out, or whenever the soundtrack drops.

Alrighty, I am going to wrap things up or I am just going to ramble on forever, because apparently that is where my brain is at at the moment.  So adios for now then.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment