Thursday, April 20, 2017

Podcast Corner - Hello from the Magic Tavern



I love podcasts, and don't talk about them nearly enough.  Just yesterday I started listening to a fiction podcast that is right in our blog's wheelhouse- it's called 'Hello, from the Magic Tavern' and it is hilarious.  Here is the description from the Magic Tavern website:  


Hello! I’m Arnie. I fell through a magical dimensional portal behind a Burger King in Chicago and found myself in a strange magical land called “Foon.” I’m still somehow getting a weak wi-fi signal from the Burger King so I host a weekly podcast from the tavern the Vermilion Minotaur, interviewing monsters, wizards and adventurers.
There are worlds other than our own!


Arnie is joined weekly by his two buddies:  Chunt, the shapeshifter in the form of a badger, and Usidore, the Blue; a Wizard whose full name is a paragraph long.  They have guests on each week who are citizens of Foon, and they generally riff with the cast, with hilarious results.  They have a clear understanding of fantasy tropes and a creative sense of humor.  The overall vibe makes me think of something that might air on Adult Swim, if it were a TV show.  

Anyway, it's a blast, and I'm goign to listen to them all.  My understanding is that they build the world of Foon each episode and are very methodical about keeping everything that happens canon, even though it's clear that some of it is just them doing improv.  I'm interested to hear if they paint themselves into some interesting corners.

I love the idea that this guy is transported to a magical world, but what he wants to do is to start a podcast, rather than to go on an adventure.  I highly recommend this podcast.   

http://hellofromthemagictavern.com/2015/03/09/1-hello-from-the-magic-tavern/
first episode






No comments:

Post a Comment