Wednesday, May 31, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Aztec Complex" - GoldenEye 007 (N64)


"Aztec Complex" from GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 (1997)
Album: No Official Album Release
Developer: Rare


You know, we here at Stage Select Start really love GoldenEye 007, but not only the game, but the music as well as this will be the third time we have used the soundtrack for a MIDI Week Singles article (I, II, III).  I got the idea to use this song from GoldenEye 007 from The Kid who is currently in the Middle of Nowhere, aka: I-5 South.  At first I was not sure about using it since I could not initially tell you how the song went, but within the first five seconds, I immediately had a nervous feeling, like I was about to do something very aggravating and did not want to mess up; again.  That was when I thought, "Yup, perfect song to use!"

As for the classification of this song, there was no official soundtrack release for GoldenEye 007, and because of that, I was unable to find out who specifically wrote this song, be it Graeme Norgate or Grant Kirkhope; although I do know that Robin Beanland wrote the two elevator songs.  Additionally, the name for the song, "Aztec Complex" came from whomever put together the rip of the soundtrack, but it was basically the name of the level (specifically being called "Aztec"), so I left the title as is.

You know, it is almost like I can hear the pop of the PP7 followed by the ratchet/clicking sound of switching weapons, and then the rapid fire from the AR-15 as you take down one after another of those yellow suited bastards, then finally you come across the prsewing Moonraker Laser and, maybe wreck havoc?  I think most of the time I dual wielded the AR-15s (after killing Jaws), but the damage output and unlimited ammo of the Moonraker (and later dual Moonrakers) was pretty great nonetheless.

But as for the music, is one that I do not think that I will ever forget, even if it is a tune that I cannot hum on a regular basis.  I do like that around the 48 second mark, the song sounds like it is almost playing a drawn out version of the "Theme from Dr. No" which is more commonly known as the Bond Theme.  And for me, it is really the snare drum and kettle-type-drum sounds that drive the song forward, which is kind of what the Aztec level is about as there is very little time to sit and rest, especially after the launch sequence has been initiated.

Hopefully this song not only reminds you of days gone by, but like myself, causes a bit of anxiety and nervousness, because sharing is caring.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment