Wednesday, June 28, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Majula" - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)


"Majula" from Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC, Playstation 4, & Xbox One (2015)
Composer: Motoi Sakabura
Album: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Original Soundtrack, & Dark Souls II Original Soundtrack
Label: FromSoftware
Developer: FromSoftware


I just started playing* Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin late last week after caving in for the Humble Monthly Bundle.  If you are familiar with DSII:SotFS, you will know that I am early enough in the game that the desolated village of Majula is my homebase, which also means that since this is Dark Souls, this is the song that I am hearing most frequently.

I find the area surrounding Majula to be very calming and I wish that there was a little more to explore in the area, but since this is Dark Souls, there probably is, but I just have yet to figure out how to explore deeper into the world and the lore.  The music here too is very calming, focusing primarily for the first half with a piano that sounds like it could be coming from a nearly broken music box in one of the houses there on the coast.  Then, if only for a few seconds/bars, the piano is replaced by a harp before the two play together, then finally a couple additional instruments (bassoon? bass?) join in as drones before the song repeats with the piano music box melody.

I really like this song even though there is not much to it, that maybe it is trying to be something more and that it just cannot find the way, and has resigned to itself in its simplicity.  Or I am just reading too much into it where there is not much to be read into.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian


*Now if only the game would stop freezing and crashing on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment