Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MIDI Week Singles: "Goodbye" - The Walking Dead (Everything)


"Goodbye" from The Walking Dead on Nearly Every Platform Out There (2012)*
Album: No Official Album Release (Sort Of)
Developer: Telltale Games


First off, as mentioned above in the "(Sort Of)" this music is not from the official The Walking Dead Original Game Score, which was released in certain editions of the Game of the Year edition back in 2013.  What "Goodbye" appears to be is a ripped from the game music, or at least pulled from the audio files as I could not find this particular track on the official soundtrack.  But because I am attached to this song, I decided that I would continue to use it in today's (semi-late-ish) article.  I have also decided to stick with the "Goodbye" title, if only for consistency out there in the Intertubalwebs, which is where this was plucked from.

Now that that is out of the way.

To hell with this song.  To hell with the feels this song decides that it want me to go ahead and relive all over again because recalling certain events in my mind just isn't enough, but now here is a musical cue to crap all over my heart strings!  I am not the one crying, although I appear to have just washed my face with a quart of freshly shredded onion pulp.

A bit melodramatic sure, but holy hell does this song just exude melancholy.  Although there is the ever slightest glimmer of hope from 1:06 - 1:11, but then it goes back into the bleakness of loss.  I am also greatly amused by how the song fades out around 1:54, but then comes back one last time a few seconds later.  Is it a death knell, a final grasp at life?

But seriously, I highly recommend this game/series because there are few games in the last five years that have given me as much of an emotional impact as this story telling, and while it may not be perfect, it is very effective.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian


*I mean, it's been released on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire HDX, OSX, Linux, Windows, Ouya, PS3, PS4, Vita, 360, and Xbox One.

No comments:

Post a Comment