Friday, February 2, 2018

Monthly Update: February 2018


Happy February everyone!

How about that Nintendo Labo announcement huh!?  Only 77 days until April 20th! 

But first, I guess I have only a few things to cover from last month and looking ahead for the remaining 27 days we have until the almighty month of Smarch.

I am very much looking forward to playing D&D with our Northwest contingent this weekend, which will be our first session this year, and I am pretty excited for what I have planned.  I kind of what what I have written (and why) to be a surprise, although Conklederp already knows what is going on, but it will be covered in a future article later this month.  A few weeks ago I also polled the group and we decided to do more short one-off quests rather than the year long campaigns that we have covered in the past.  I am also very happy that for three of our PC's, this is going into our third year playing D&D, which is the second longest stretch of time I have played D&D with one group; the first being my first group which consisted of Dr. Potts and DellaƱos way back in 1992, and I think that group lasted at least until I was in high school, I do not recall exactly.

Just before Conklederp and I left for Christmas (yes, I know this was in December, but hang on), we finally joined the population of people who have all six of the original and prequel trilogies for Star Wars.  I had been holding off for a long time (way back in the mid 2000's) as I was waiting for a release of the original theatrical versions for the original trilogy (pre-special edition), plus I wanted editions that had George Lucas' commentary.  There were separate editions for the original trilogy that had two versions, but I was waiting for a boxed set.  Something may have gotten mixed up somewhere because last December, I found a 12 disc set that had been around for at least I don't know how many years, but it has pretty much everything that I wanted in a Star Wars boxed set, except that crisp crispiness of sound and image quality you get with Blu-ray.  And then there is the making of featurettes for the original trilogy that aren't there either, but hey, at least the commentaries are all present.  And as mentioned earlier on Instagram, I started listening to the audiobook version of Star Wars: Ahsoka, which is narrated/read by Ashley Eckstein, the actress who portrayed Ahsoka Tano in Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series.  I am on Chapter 7 and so far, I am very much enjoying both the story, and the production work that went into this book in particular.  I am now more excited to listen to Thrawn soonish after.

Sadly, as was reported earlier in the last week, my 3DS is not hip to working at 100% capacity, which I guess I do not need to get into again.  Except that I forgot to mention that I had also started up Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir as I thought it would be a great game to play in the house that Conklederp and I just moved into, partly because I love horror games, but also because this year our house turns 101.  Now, that too will have to wait for whatever ends up happening with my 3DS.

Lastly, I have been playing the Switch a lot.  As in much more than any PC games (have I been playing PC games this month?), mainly focusing on both DOOM, and Breath of the Wild.  I have reached, what I believe to be the end game (due to the number of Marine Dolls that are left) and because I have found myself back in Hell.  And let me tell you, I'm not really a fan of the Hell stages overall, and I am willing to guess that that might put me in the minority.  I also detest the challenge stages, mainly because I feel like they were not designed with a controller set up in mind, but since that is a me issue, I'll just work on getting gud when I'm not within a stage.  In BotW, bloody hell that is a fun game.  At times I forget what it is that my quest is and then I get blasted by a Guardian or end up drowning because I misjudged the distance and how far my stamina will allow me to swim.  And in a few weeks I am looking forward to my first foray into the Bayonetta series when it is released on the Switch.  There are just so many game, mainly indie games, coming out on the Switch that it is hard to keep up and is quickly replacing Steam as my system of choice.

So that is really it, or as much as I am able to think about while typing this out.  There is probably more, but it will just have to wait to be momentarily forgotten about in March's Monthly Update.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Written in Torment

No comments:

Post a Comment