Thursday, April 5, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "The Mall" - Skate or Die 2: The Search for Double Trouble (NES)


"The Mall" from Skate or Die 2: The Search for Double Trouble on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1990)
Composer: Rob Hubbard
Album: No Official Release
Developer: Electronic Arts



I played Skate or Die 2 quite a bit in the early '90s with my friend Flex and like a lot of skateboarding games that I have played since, I was not particularly good at it.  And what I actually recall about the game was the that the second stage took place in a mall, where you took on jobs as a delivery person.  It was a combination of having good in-game dexterity as well as remembering where individual shops were once you delivered a package and were immediately given a new timed assignment.  I do not recall if we (we meaning I) ever got passed the Mall stage so my nostalgic knowledge of this soundtrack as a whole is fairly limited.

I like this track because while it does not immediately conjure up the image of a mall, when I hear it, I do feel a twinge in the back on my brain that is telling me that I'm not moving fast enough, that the security guard is probably waiting just a few pixels away, and can't people just walk bloody damn faster already!?  I find "The Mall" to be a good song for its location.  It's not too frantic or off putting considering how apparently deadly the mall can be, and the melody is memorable enough so that having heard it for the first time in nearly 25 years, my brain is still able to bring back feelings of inadequacy in my ability to out maneuver a pixelated shopper.

Thanks Rob.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian 
Instrumental

No comments:

Post a Comment