Wednesday, April 18, 2018

MIDI Week Singles: "Small Boss Room (I) ~ Kraid" - Metroid (NES)


"Small Boss Room (I) ~ Kraid" from Metroid on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1986)


I decided to use "Small Boss Room (I) ~ Kraid" from Metroid partly because I just finished Xeodrifter, which is a great Metroid-esque game on multiple Nintendo systems and the music from that game reminded me a lot of Hirokazu's compositions for Metroid, but also because this is a great song!  At the point when this song comes up in Metroid, you have already been playing for a while, you might even have an extra energy tank or two and are armed with a handful of missiles.  Then the music changes to this.  

Honestly, when the music begins, it sounds like pretty standard fare when I think of science fiction music that may or may not have been composed for a video game.  Then at about 32 seconds hits and this song takes on what a layman might describe as baroque music in a science fiction setting; maybe that is not 100% accurate, but if Bach were composing music for a science fiction video game. . .maybe?

Either way, as frequently as I would get lost within Kraid's lair in the game, I really like this track and harbor no ill will towards it whenever it comes up.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment