Friday, June 22, 2018

Completely Unnecessary E3 2018 Wrap Up That You Don't Really Need To Pay Attention To: Special 2018 Edition

The Logo That Never Gets Old! Special 2016 Edition Maybe

So E3 happened, and while I tried to pay as much attention as a full time employee is able to afford themselves, I was really only able to watch Bethesda's pre-E3 presentation on that one Sunday night.  The rest of everything I caught up on four weeks after E3 was over. . .or something close to that; you get the idea.

So in the vein of previous E3 articles that we have featured on our sliver of the gaming rambling portion of the Internet, I am going to continue with listing and briefly talking about games that managed to peak my interest over the last week.  And these are games that I had no prior knowledge of before this last week, so games like Dark Souls: Remastered for the Switch (which I have already pre-ordered), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (because I have no interest in the franchise), or FIFA 19 (because I like to keep my sports games simple), I will not be mentioning.  Again.  I am going to stick to the previously unknown to me.

And this is by no means an exhaustive list as I do not really have that much time, so if I have forgotten about your favorite game, franchise, character, or DLC, leave a note down below in the comments and I will look it up.

So, without further ado, here is an alphabetical list:

Carcassonne
I was completely unaware of this game, in either its board game or video game form.  And while my paranoia about playing board games against a computer is fairly well documented, I feel like after watching the trailer, I am more apt to pick up the physical board game.

Cyberpunk 2077
It is kind of odd that I feel semi-obligated to put this game on here having only played one game by CD Projekt Red, but I guess that is how a studio gets their hooks in you.  With one really good game.

DOOM Eternal
I loved DOOM on the Switch, and previous entries in the DOOM series, so this should make a lot of sense.  And because of the success of the revamped DOOM, I am not surprised that this looks similar to DOOM II's take on demons of Hell have invaded/attacked Earth.  Also more Mick Gordon music is a good thing.

I really was not expecting any announcements for The Elder Scrolls, so when Blades was announced for both mobile devices and consoles (coming later apparently), I was pretty excited.  Now, I am probably not going to be playing this on my phone as I am not a fan of touch controls on mobile devices in the way that they show here (although if it is as engaging as Dead Space: MobileI may just have to), the fact that they said it is also coming to consoles (which hopefully means the Switch) is an added bonus.  At least as far as I am concerned.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Very Special Edition
This was a pretty hilarious part of Bethesda's presentation and I really appreciated that they were able to laugh at the public's semi-ridiculing of their porting Skyrim to as many devices as it is currently playable on (currently nine I believe).  Then on Monday, I thought it would give it a try on our Echo Dot (thanks again Shramp), and lo and behold, it is a real thing, although it does not have the level of actions that are present in the trailer.  It is still pretty fun, albeit repetitive, to play.  My skill with a weapon, skill with magic, and my shout are all level 7.

The Elder Scrolls VI
I realize that this trailer was probably created to appease The Elder Scrolls community who would have been (and was) upset at the announcement of Fallout 76, considering that Fallout 4 was released only three years ago, but it was still a pretty great teaser.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS was my first foray into the Fire Emblem series and while I was more than happy with SoV, the style and tactics of the series definitely got its hooks into me, so now I am awaiting this game as well.  Let us just hope that the game is not sold in three separate editions where you have to buy each one in order to experience the entire story, although I can easily see either DLC or amiibo related DLC as a component here.

You know, I really like the visual aesthetic here, possibly because it reminds a little bit of RiME, but obviously more detailed.  Also the music is a major factor in being drawn to this game.  I also liked that they specified that it was "hand crafted" as opposed to procedurally generated, probably to distance itself from being labeled as another No Man's Land.

Rage 2
I really liked the first Rage game so I was pretty excited to see the Walmart announcement that Rage 2 was going to be showcased at E3.  The trailer looks like more of the same of what I liked from the first game, although this one seems to take place closer to after the asteroid hit earth than the first game, which is you basically saving the world.  Either way, I will have to upgrade my computer if I want to play this thing.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
After watching the trailer, I would have been surprised if this was not a game from FromSoftware as it seems very Japanese (in the best way possible), and very Dark Souls-esque, although the combat seems looser and more fluid that either Dark Souls or Dark Souls II (I have yet to play any other game by FromSoftware, but I feel like those are good tastes of their style).

So those are a handful of games that I felt like talking about that were either announced at E3 2018 or were news to me after the week long HERE'S OUR STUFF fest.  I realize that if you were coming here to find out what all the top games were and how our predictions matched up to reality, then I welcome you to our site for the first (and maybe last?) time, because that is not how we do things here, but you are more than welcome to stay nonetheless.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Cause You Make Me Feel So Brand New

No comments:

Post a Comment