Monday, June 4, 2018

Monthly Update: June 2018


I would say that beating two games on the Switch and acquiring two more could be seen as somewhat productive in supporting a platform just over a year old.  I beat Bayonetta 2 (of which I had multiple things to say) early in May and RiME later in the month.  Two completely different games, with the first being a beat-em-up over the top action game, and the latter, a low key and very emotional adventure and puzzle game.  And the two games I picked up this month, Runner3 and Battle Chasers: Nightwar fit into the platforming rhythm game on rails, and a turn based Japanese-style RPG that continues the story from the Battle Chasers comic book series.  And I am going to definitely have to talk about both games, although it is looking more likely that Runner3 is going to get a First Impressions article waaaaay before the Game EXP article comes out.

For June, I received the slightly delayed Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, an 8-bit Castlevania-esque game developed by Inti Creates as a standalone game that originated as a stretch goal for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, which is slated to be released in the coming weeks.  And then on the 29th we will see the re-release of the Nintendo Classic, which will hopefully not see the crazy scalper laden days/weeks leading up to and after.  I may just have to show up 30 minutes late to work that day, but at least the Target stores around here open up at 7 AM, so 6 AM wait time it is.

If you have been following us since the beginning of the year, you will have noticed my sporadic mentioning of the horror-esque game Perception, and only Saturday morning I finally finished, and if playing a first person game where the protagonist you play as is blind sounds at all interesting, then you will want to read my Game EXP article which should go up by sometime next week.  And you know, I should probably write about Kamiko too as I have beaten the game with one character and am about 25% of the way through with the second character.

In other realms, the only movie that I have seen over the last month was Solo: A Star Wars Story, and I had thought about putting out an article back on Friday May 25th, but I did not want to come across as the person who went out on Thrusday night to see the movie in order to talk about it less than 24 hours later.  But if you look towards Friday June 8th, my review of the movie should be up by then; although it will have about 0.08247% in staving off all of the bitter and angry people who were upset about nearly anything that happened in The Last Jedi who feel like a boycott retaliation was/is in order.  Yeah, I guess you could say I too am a bit bitter, but that bitterness is directed at the people online who create headlines like "Everything Wrong with The Last Jedi," "Even Mark Hamill Hates The Last Jedi, And Why You Should Hate Solo: A Star Wars Story," "Why Solo is Bombing at the Box Office."  In short, I really liked The Last Jedi, and I really liked Solo: A Star Wars Story, so I guess you could say that I am part of the reason why Disney is destroying the childhood of millions of Star Wars fans.  And to answer that last headline briefly, let us call it "The Waterworld Effect" for now.

In upcoming movie news, I am very much looking forward to Hereditary, of which I know nothing about aside from the fact that it is supposed to be a good horror movie.  Plus it is being distributed by A24, which over the last five years have distributed some well made movies: Under the Skin, Ex Machina, The Witch, The Lobster, and It Comes at Night to name a few.  I will also hopefully make it out to see Avengers: Infiniti War before it leaves theaters.  And the two video game movies, Rampage and The Tomb Raider seemed to have come and gone a lot quicker than I had anticipated, although considering video game movies in general, I am not at all surprised.

On a different note, I am a little sad about our general lack of Dungeons & Dragoning.  Granted we did have two sessions in April and none in May, and after looking at our weekend availability for June, I discovered that there were only three possible days.  Such is the adulting life.  Oh, and earlier in the beginning of the month (it might have even been late April now that I think about it), I picked up the Sanctum of Twilight expansion for Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, of which we still have yet to play.  You know, I do not think we have played Mansions since we moved into our house back in November.  We could probably chalk that up to no longer having the TV in the main room and limited space to play along with a computer/TV screen.  That should be something we rectify very soon.  On both counts.

So I am going to leave it at that for now, although I am sure there are things that I could go on a bit longer about, but let us leave that for their own articles.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
But Is It Though?

No comments:

Post a Comment