Thursday, July 30, 2015

Monthly Update: Augustus, 2015

Picture from the game: Apotheon

Hello all, this is my first monthly update for our new site.  And so, to mark the occasion, I used the word 'Augustus' because it seems to me like the ancient roman empire had a real flair for pomp and circumstance.  In fact, the Roman title of Augustus was even higher ranked than Caesar.  Additionally, I like the vary the titles of my Monthly Update posts to distinguish them from Jaconian's Monthly Updates.  Because I just don't like the idea of having two posts every month with the same names.

This month, I joined Twitter.  If you care to look me up, my handle is @drpottsiv.  I mostly look at gaming stuff, and I've found some cool groups to follow including @boingboing, @polygon and @offworld.   Reading a lot of gaming journalism makes me long to spend more time in the field, rather than stealing glances at work or between games of Magic Online.

Magic Online still owns my brain.  There's usually enough time after work to play a tournament, so that's often what I do when I get home.  I lose a lot.  I need help!  Lately, when my brain isn't under complete control of Magic Online,  I've been slowly amassing a pile of links to articles about interesting-looking games.  Many of them free,, interesting and experimental.  I like that kind of thing.  But after work, I rarely have the energy or will to try something new.

Other things are that I am into the fourth and final season of Farscape.  By now, I really love the show, let me tell you.  I highly recommend it as space fantasy excitement.  I also started watching Rick and Morty and Adventure time, for some smaller bites and lower comittment.  Rick and Morty is completely demented, but with a great sci fi theme.  And while I'm not crazy-into Adventure Time the way most fans I've met are,   I will say that it is a damn fine show, worthy of such dedication.  I just haven't gotten to that place yet.

I'm watching these shows via a hulu+ account for 8 bucks a month, on my roku streaming device.  I got tired of hooking up the HDMI cable every time I wanted to watch something, which turned out to be an awful lot,  so I bought a roku.  I'ts really convenient.  I like it.  But it's a little tricky.  Some services appear to be free, but then ultimately aren't.  Like the History channel.  (looking at you, Vikings).
alright, I gotta go to work, woops!

-D


P.S.  Also, I thought I'd mention that I changed my handle back to 'Doctor Potts.'  I don't know why I do this, but I change my handle with some regularity  (Those who know me well might remember me rearranging the furniture in my various homes with a similar regularity.)  
My most regular handle, over the years, has been Doctor Potts.  Now that I've joined twitter under the same Handle, I thought it would be best to be consistent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment