Wednesday, October 7, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Alone in the Dark" - Alone in the Dark (DOS/PC)


"Alone in the Dark" from Alone in the Dark on the PC (1992)
Composer: Philippe Vachey
Record Label/Album: Available through GOG.com
Game Developer: Infogrames


I chose this song for today for a couple of reasons.  1. It's October and because I'm somewhat of a sucker for gimmicks, I thought a track from a horror game would fit well for a MIDI Week Single.  2.  I like this game and the game (when bought through GOG) comes with the soundtrack.

This track, "Alone in the Dark," while not inherently scary, is probably the most frequently used track in the game, being the default music played while navigating the house, so it's really no wonder that I grew rather fond of the song.  Despite the "nostalgia" of exploring a house, listening to the song I feel a sense of discovering the unknown, sleuthing around bits of information and a cheerfully impending sense of doom.  I can't think of how else to explain this particular track, but I feel like it sums up Alone in the Dark pretty well.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment