Wednesday, November 18, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Base" - Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run (SNES)


"Base" from Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1996)
Composer: Eveline Fischer
Record Label: Nintendo of America
Game Developer: Rare


I've never played Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run, and now that I think about it, I don't know if I ever played any baseball games on any system after the NES and Gameboy.  That being said, I cannot say how/where this song fits into the game.  It's one of three tracks from a CD of video game music available only through Nintendo Power back in the mid to late 1990s.

I picked this song, partly because I found it to be rather catchy and somewhat absurd in a way that I cannot fully explain.  The quality of the music is typical of that for Rare (that it's an MP3 track and not a MIDI track), especially when you think that the music had to be "dumbed down" in order to fit into an SNES cartridge.  The other odd thing about this music is that, to me at least, it doesn't fit in with a baseball game, unless that baseball game is on a 16-bit console from the mid 1990s, which it was.

I have no further explanation as to why this song made its way to a MIDI Week Single, but I like the song enough to share it with the rest of the world.  So there.

And deep apologies about missing the MWS posting last week and the late posting today.  Too many words to read in too few books on too many pages with not enough brain power to comprehend it all.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment