Wednesday, November 25, 2015

MIDI Week Singles: "Underground BGM" - Super Mario World (SNES)


"Underground BGM" from Super Mario World on the  Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1991)
Composer: Koji Kondo
Record Label: Warner-Pioneer
Game Developer: Nintendo


I will admit that I was drawing a blank as to which song to showcase today/this week and "Underground BackGround Music" was Conklederp's idea.  I asked her if there was a song she would like us to cover, and so she started singing/humming from about 0:25 on and at first I couldn't place it.  My first thought was something to do with Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Country, but the theme wasn't right.  It took me about 10 seconds or so before I managed to pull the correct song up (after I was able to locate the correct folder).

I really like this song too.  Whenever it crops up, I feel like I am 11 years old again, standing in G&G (the local video game store in the mall that I just learned stood for "Games & Gadgets"), playing this amazing looking new Super Mario Bros. game that I'd been reading so much about for the last year in various issues of Nintendo Power.  I recall either playing or watching someone else play one of the first underground stages (I'm not smart enough to recall the exact stage, but I can see it in my head).

Whelp, that is all I have for you today, so enjoy.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice! I love the instrumentation, especially that big bend at the end of the first pass.

    ReplyDelete