Wednesday, January 20, 2016

MIDI Week Single: "Nightmare King Battle" - Little Nemo: The Dream Master


"Nightmare King Battle" from Little Nemo: The Dream Master on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1990)
Composer: Junko Tamiya (Gonzuo)
Album: No Official Release
Game Developer: Capcom


Never having gotten past the second stage in Little Nemo: The Dream Master when I played in in the early '90's, this was a song that I was unfamiliar with until it popped up earlier in the week.  I think I was just a little taken aback by the tenacity of this track and what it was trying to convey that I be a part of.

What I like about this being not only boss battle music, but apparently the final boss music is that it's exciting, energizing and another adjective that starts with "E" that I cannot think of at the moment.  Compared with the rest of the music in the game, especially the standard battle music, which to me sounds a lot more spastic.  "Nightmare King Battle" actually makes you want to get in there and fight the Nightmare King. . .because he's a bad guy who is ruining dreams?  Like I said, I haven't beaten the game and without looking at the Wikipedia page, I can only assume that if you don't stop the Nightmare King, he will cause everyone to have nightmares forever.

The point though, is that this track surprised me by how much I liked it and that it completely ignores any nostalgic factor since I had never heard this track when I first played the game 20+ years ago.  I've said it before here, but that is what good video game music should do, make you excited the first time you hear it without having any nostalgia associated with it.  And for me, that's exactly what "Nightmare King Battle" did.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
It Comes From You

No comments:

Post a Comment