Wednesday, February 10, 2016

MIDI Week Single: "Stage Theme 1" - Rush'n Attack (NES)

"Stage Theme 1" from Rush'n Attack on the Nintendo Entertainment System (1985)
Composer: Shinya Sakamoto, Iku Iku Mizatani, Hevimeta Satoe, Nanda Adachi
Album: No Official Soundtrack Release
Developer: Konami


Rush'n Attack, not to be confused with a Russian Attack, is a game that I oddly remember fondly from my early years.  I never beat the game, and I think I could get to Stage 2 about 50% of the time.  People beat this game in about 15 minutes (and then there's this guy).  I guess it's no wonder then that I landed on Stage Theme 1" as the song that I wanted to use from this game.

As far as who the composer is, all I was able to find were members of the sound design department, and I'm not schnazzy enough to be able to tell who wrote the music based on how it sounds.  I'll leave that to musicologists and people who have a better ear than I coupled with 1980s video game composer knowledge.  The point is, one of those people up there wrote this song here and I like it enough to share it with the rest of the world. . .all 10 of you (not including the 6-7 twitter-bots who apparently really like us).

But the music, it has that galloping drum beat that does a great job of motivating the player to move forward towards their goal of disarming the enemy's secret weapon.  The melody, to me, invokes a bit of an 80's era solo-army guy on an impossible mission vibe to it (still haven't seen Rambo by the way) without being melodramatic about the soldier's lack of hardware.  It's just a good old fashion run-and-gun music.  Oddly enough, the music is entirely absent from the arcade game of Rush'n Attack of which so many NES games back in the day were simply arcade ports.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian

No comments:

Post a Comment