Monday, February 8, 2016

Monthly Update: February 2016


Happy February everyone!  Happy Year of the Monkey too.  According to the great Wikipedia, we're intelligent, dignified, optimistic, and sociable (when I have to be, but that's not my strongest characteristic), but we're also apparently vain (I do like my hair), arrogant, reckless, and snobbish.  Although I feel like it nailed the health problems with possibly being prone to social anxiety disorder (of which I'm sure that I exhibit a number of symptoms during various social interactions).  But anyway. . .

Let's see, what was I up to last month?  I started the winter quarter (with only one more to go and then I can be an official number cruncher) which means that I haven't been as gameable as I might normally be otherwise.  It also means that I'm still not reading as much as I would like to be as I will typically get in a few pages before I fall asleep for the night.

But gamewise is why I'm here today.  I feel like January could be characterized by both The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard (which I have briefly talked about) and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.  I've presently put in just under 25 hours into Redguard and I actually wish that there was more talking and investigating in this game than running around and fighting (partly because I'm bad at the fighting mechanic in this game), because this game is chalk full of Elder Scrolls lore from the 2nd Era. . .sorry, I just got lost reading again getting that link set up.  I think I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game, but I before a current quest I'm on, I thought I was at the end of the game and I recently found out a way to talk to a character whose dialogue responses sound as if I was supposed to have talked to him within the first few hours of the game.  It's still a great (and dated) game that I look forward to finishing and hopefully get around to writing about.  Regarding Shadow of Mordor, that's another beast all together.

Oh, and just last night, I started up Dead Space 3 since I had been listening to the soundtrack and wondered why I hadn't played this apparent very black and not too horror-y (and last) game in a series that I love (although the second game not as much as the first).  Presently I am liking it, even though it is more action-y than the first game, but how much horror can a single protagonist take before they're just used to killing necromorphs?  I see it as like Ash from Army of Darkness compared to Ash from The Evil Dead.  Plus I'm getting some serious At the Mountains of Madness vibes from the past lore of the series taking place in an icy wasteland.  More Lovecraft appropriately placed into stories is never a bad thing.

Also, probably on Friday, I will put up an article about an alpha for a game called Clustertruck that's been a lot of fun (with a large helping of frustration).

January also marked the one year anniversary of our D&D group, or at least most of them since Conklederp (Dagnar Ungart) and Tula Tealeaf have been with us since the beginning and Xob and Lark (Chreekat) joined in later at various points; The Notorious CRC was killed off, but that was her request when she took classes back east last summer, and Lululeevaloolalay the High Elven wizard has been taken over by Conklederp since she's also a magic user and who doesn't like casting magic missile?  If the group keeps up the pace they maintained in the last session, I feel like they'll finish the quest when we meet again later in the month.  I have a couple of ideas lined up, either a quest I wrote last year or an official quest. . .and now that I think about it, I think I'll do the quest I wrote since it's written to be a short-ish-type quest rather than a long campaign.  I might even work in some elements from my quest into the official quest if those events inspire me to do so.

And holy damn, how had I almost forgotten to mention the X-Files season 9!?!!?  While I feel that the first episode has been the most alien-lore heavy and the weakest of the three episodes (the fourth will be airing tonight), I like what the Chris Carter has done with the story so far.  Here's hoping that this will lead to a 10-13 episode Season 10, since that seems to be the formula for high production TV shows these days; I'm not complaining though.

Well, it's been lovely chatting with y'all today, but I've got another test to do for a class in particular (this'll be the fourth test in a week), so I should probably get on that.


~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Tells Me What To Say

No comments:

Post a Comment