Friday, February 5, 2016

Monthly Update - February

Monthly Update, coming at you, a little late.   I've decided to give topic headings to this one, for some reason.

  • Watching:
X files lately, following a suggested guide for mythology episodes at the website Skippable. I do miss out on some particularly good monster of the week episodes.  If and when I go back and watch it again, I'll only watch monster of the week episodes, I think.  Or maybe I'll break down halfway through. I remember being very frustrated by the mythology after the movie came out, between season 5 and 6.  I wonder what it will be like this time.  I'm currently finishing up season 3. So far, I really love it.

Also, Scrubs.  Season 1 was excellent.  Funny, cheerful, but actually pretty effective when it gets dramatic.  I work in a medical office, so I kind of feel a stronger connection to this show.  It's nice to have a light comedy to watch, since I'm usually attracted to brooding serials.  Brooklyn 9-9 is another great comedy, but it's only in the mid 3rd season.  Really very funny workplace/police comedy.  Can't recommend it enough. 


  • Playing:
Playing lots of Dominion and Carcassone.  One is a card game, the other a map-building board game.  Both for 2-5 players.  Both are great.  Of course, still playing Magic, the game that keeps on giving.   I have regular Thursday games of Magic with one group of friends, and alternating Saturday games with another. 

Video game world has me working my way through the pacifist ending in Undertale, finishing the last game of the Blackwell series and, of course, playing Mario Kart with Jane.   I've been cool on Mario Maker lately, but I think I'm ready to give it another round.  I've got a list of ideas, and I've had a couple new ones lately that I'd like to try out.  Thinking of levels is a great way to daydream when I should be doing work.  It's fun to have creative outlets.

  • Reading:
Read a book called Windup Girl.  Interesting Dystopia with some really despicable characters.  Reads kind of like Game of Thrones in near-future Thailand.  Genetic Engineering has giant mastadons pulling machinery, and plague resistant crops are the peak of the economy. 

Reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  It's nice.  Harry Potter is a great thing to read when experiencing the down-time in-between books.  I have a weird relationship with the Harry Potter books, I've read 1, 6 and 7.  So I figure I'll work my way slowly through the rest whenever I'm between books.  

  • Writing:
Just the blog, really.  And lists, long lists of things to get to later.  I suppose that making Magic decks is a creative outlet.  Do retweets count?  Probably not.  I've got my time split up in so many ways; I'm really unfocused.  I like to imagine that one day my life will come together, and I'll assemble all my various creative interests into one spectacular fantasmagoric machine of wonder, in a beautiful hand-drawn animated sequence.  Probably won't happen though.

  • Eating:
Jane took me out for fancy Sushi for my birthday!  We ate about a hundred bucks worth and it was SO good.  So, so good.  Would eat again.  Yum!

Alright, I'm done with this posting thing.  I hope I haven't left anything out.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment