Wednesday, May 18, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Grassy Plans" - Fantasy Life (3DS)


"Grassy Plains" from Fantasy Life on the Nintendo 3DS (2013)
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Label: FRAME
Developer: Level-5



Not having yet beat the game or watched the credits (not actually sure if you can do that with Fantasy Life, but I still felt like mentioning this disclaimer), I did not know that Nobuo Uematsu had composed the music to this game before I started putting together the MIDI Week Single for today.

I decided to use "Grassy Plains" out of a couple of candidates because it was partly the first piece of music from the game that I head with a lot of frequency.  It was also the music that was playing when Conklederp asked what game I was playing because she liked the music.  I've said it a few times throughout a number of posts, but I feel that mark of a good song is if it's able to stand by itself, outside of the game and still invoke some type of response.  For me, "Grassy Plains" has a "Let's go adventuring" tone to it that doesn't imply that it's going to be a deadly adventure, but a fun one.  That tone works really well for this game, which is directed more towards a younger audience (as opposed to the over 30 crowd of which I am firmly a part of), but it's a fun game nonetheless, and music cues like this help to remind me that video games are fun.  Their purpose is to entertain, at least on some level.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
The Time That We Have Here

No comments:

Post a Comment