Wednesday, July 27, 2016

MIDI Week Singles: "Main Theme" - Neverwinter Nights (PC)


"Main Theme" from Neverwinter Nights on the PC (2002)
Composer: Jeremy Soule
Label: Atari
Developer: BioWare


While looking through one of the bookshelves in our place, I saw my collected copies of Neverwinter Nights and the two physical expansions, (Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark), and I was hit with a wave of 2002 nostalgia.  So I took the CDs off the shelf, used both Instillation Discs and the Play Disc and booted up the game.  Worked perfectly.

That was when I was greeted with this song, the main theme from Neverwinter Nights.  I tell you, coming off the heals of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, I loved the proverbial shit out of this game.  I even went to Fry's (believe it or not) to buy the Shadows of Undrentide expansion since I couldn't find it in any stores in Woodland or Davis.  If I hadn't been so against digital games at that time, I would have bought the DLC Kingmaker, but I was set in my ways of physical media only.

Jeremy Soule's score here does a fantastic job of easing the main theme in, and by about 33 seconds in, you know that it's not going to be all roses and sunshine.  Around 1:20, the theme comes in with more heroic and fanfaric fashion, but then slowly fades away before one faint and final pronouncement of the main theme at the end.  It's a beautiful theme, which is why I wanted to share my nostalgia (which has held up by the way) with you all.



~JWfW/JDub/Jaconian
Road Into The Dark Unaware



P.S.  As far as I am aware, this was my first introduction to Jeremy Soule, although I didn't know his name at the time.  It wasn't until I was playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (which was also released in 2002) back in 2013 that I thought some of the music reminded me of the music from Neverwinter Nights.  Actually, I forgot that he also wrote the music for Icewind Dale (2000), but I don't think I played that game until 2003-2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment