Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Monthly Update - September 2016

Hello Again,

A new month rolls in, and it's time to summarize the previous.  The only video game I'm playing these days is Super Mario Galaxy, which Jane and I are moving through at a steady pace.  It's a delightful game, with really great design and editing.  Most every piece seems to be put there intentionally, with no filler.  I'm glad we decided to play this game.

Other events in my life include my cat having dental surgery last week.  He had to have two teeth removes, as they had been going through a process called 'resorption' which is a painful process of flesh turning into bone.  No fooling.  So, out go the teeth, and what remains are some gaps in his gums, all sutured up.  I've had to feed him painkillers and squirt food out of his sockets.  He really doesn't like it.  The good news is that he's doing well, and in another week, should be good as new, and in less pain, so overall it's a good thing.  

Going back to a more technological subject, I bought myself a new phone and got a new phone service.  I picked up a Moto G3, the latest in the series from Motorolla.  It is a much, much better phone from my previous phone-- it is a delight to use.  Responsive, high resolution, devoid of bloatware, I couldn't ask for more.  Plus, I was able to sign up to Republic Wireless, which is a pretty inexpensive service.  I was already paying $25 for crappy service on Virgin Mobile (which I don't recommend) but now I'm paying $20 for 1GB data and much better service.  All in all, I am very happy with my cell-phone device and service choices.

I'm still playing lots of Magic: the Gathering, it occupies much of my idle thoughts.  I find it much easier to pull up Magic Online or to sort through my cards, than to do other things that I might do for entertainment, which includes video games, unfortunately, since there are many interesting ones out there.

That being said, I've been reading more lately, which is even easier than playing Magic.  I just read a comic called "Monstress" which was fantastic.  I also read "Zot!" volume 2, by Scott McCloud, one of my favorites.  And now I'm reading a novel by Haruki Murakami, called 1Q84.  So far, I really enjoy it, and I miss it when I'm not reading.  Unfortunately, the library copy I have is hardcover, and over 1000 pages, so I don't bring it to work with me.  Instead, I read a digital copy of 'A Storm of Swords' on my phone.  It's been fun re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in reverse order.  Definitely a lot of cool stuff happens in 'Storm,' and this time through I'm more patient, and really have been enjoying the incredibly detailed mythology.  Sooner or later, Jane and I will sign up for HBO Now and then I'll catch up on the TV series as well.

Speaking of Television, Jane and I just started watching 'Steven Universe.'  We had run out of Bob's Burgers episodes, and wanted something light.   Steven Universe is bright and colorful and short, and generally light, however, it also has some pretty sweet visual design and mythology.  I'm hooked.  The show is slowly unrolling its mythology, detail by detail, and Jane and I are already speculating and discussing what we know.  It comes across as a children's show, but is deceptively deep.  I recommend it to anyone with a deep appreciation for children's fantasy adventure cartoons.  

Well, this looks like a good stopping point.  It felt good to sit and write (when I was supposed to be working).  Got to grab that impulse while it's there!   As always, I want to write more, and I promise to try.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment